Strat pickup help? Lollar? Suhr? Wagner? Rolph?...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sweetpea, Jan 10, 2006.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

Fralin?...

I just purchased a 1993 '62 reissue with a flattened 12" radius neck and 6105 frets. I am looking for a glassy strat pup that sounds great clean and overdriven. Also, I want it to cut through when playing live. Perhaps a mix of pickups-ie. Suhrs in neck and middle and a Fralin steel pole in the bridge? I hear that Acme Guitar Works are a great resource. I have had a set of Suhr V60LP's that were great pickups. I have also owned Fralin Vintage Hots. I liked the Suhrs a bit more as they just sounded sweeter. However, the bridge pup was a bit shrill-no baseplate. Which brings me to this question. What tone cap do you folks use? I like to wire the lower tone control to the bridge pup ala Eric Johnson.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:eek:

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

IMHO Hard to beat the Suhr V60Lp and you can get the bridge with a baseplate

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I loved the Fralin Steel Pole I had in my Epi Olympic- but as I prefer a hotter than average bridge pickup, I can see where most people would not like it.

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I love Fralin Steel Poles as bridge pickups. They cut through but don't cut your head off. I believe Fralin makes a "non-hot" pickup maybe you should consider those plus the steel pole in the bridge.

I've also had a buddy tell me that a set of Rolphs were the most vintage pickups he'd ever had in his Strat.

5. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

Wagner/WCR SR pickups kick butt. But, :D I don't think you can get them right now.

6. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

I put a set of Lollar Blondes (Alnico II Flatpoles) in my 1997 '62 Reissue which has a 10" radius USACG Maple Board Neck with Jumbo Frets. Acme Guitar Works Strat assembly with a 47 Cap, Blender Pot, and the Volume Kit. Clean and glassy tones. Sounds very cool through my BFSR. The Pups like pedals for sure.

The Bridge Pup has a bassplate and sounds like a Bridge Pickup should. The Blender Pot option alllows for some more tonal variation. Highly recommended.

7. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

Absolutely......................I have a set in my Chapin Stratahoula. They are Bad to the Bone. SWEET!

LQ

8. woof*

woof* Member

voodoo 6o's or lollar blondes, either way you cant go wrong. i have both and either one will go clean glass to scream with the right amps. volume/cutting thru the mixwise the voodoo's have a small edge.

9. Uchison

Uchison Member

Heard and tried some guitars with the Fender Custom Shop '54 pups...very nice sound...:dude

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Best I've heard are the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage. V2.1 in the neck and middle and a virtual 2 neck in the bridge.

11. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I have Hamel pups in my Strat and it sounds like a '54. If that's the sound you want, get the Hamels. For the original Strat sound, nothing is better.

12. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Dimarzio 2.1 = Sound Great with No Noise!

- as for the Noisey Ones here they are:

Fralin Vintage Hots are the Best All around Vintage Strat Pickup I have Heard.
    I also Like the Van Zandt Vintage Plus! for the Classic Tone
    Fralin Steel Pole 43 for the Stevie Sound! - Must be used in a Sunburst Alder Strat!
    Suhr V-60-LP for the Knopfler Tone.
    Armstrong Lipsticks for Vintage Tremelo Twang
    Joe Barden - If you can find them
    Avoid Kinman, EMG, and Lace Sensor unless you like the Sound of Plastic.

13. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Going on three years with my DeTemple Sweetspot II pups. I think they are Lollars. Ash/maple, 12" radius, 1 11/16" nut and big fat neck. Best vintage Strat tone I can imagine for my guitar.

14. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I have heard good things about the WCR SRs, but you would have to find a used set and they will probably be expensive.

I have Suhr V60s and like them a lot, but my all time favorites are Van Zandt blues. They are the most incredible sounding single coils I've ever heard both clean and overdriven. I also tried the Fralin Blues Specials and liked them as well.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Van Zandts before you make your decision

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What's your amp and effects setup? This does have an impact on which pickup will sound best.

16. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The Fralin Steel Poles are good.... but are pretty far removed from sounding anything remotely like a vintage strat pickup IMO. So depending upon what you are looking for....that may be good or bad.

It might help to give some examples of some well known strat players whose tone you like or are in the ballpark of what you are looking for (???)

Remember....most of the great strat players that we all love and try to emulate (Hendrix, Blackmore, Trower, Gallagher, Stevie Ray, etc...)....did not use or have overwound, hot pickups in their guitars. Their tones were created on a vintage strat with relatively low output pickups. Just something to keep in mind and to be aware of in your search.

17. jzucker

Also remember that Hendrix used a 3 way pickup selector so when you talk about quack in positions 2 & 4, remember that! :)

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Fralin Vintage Hots, Van Zandt Vintage Plus, Lollar Blondes, Suhr 60LPs.

All winners.

19. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I've tried the Lollar Blondes, SP43, V60LPs, and VZ vintages - all sound excellent. I've stuck with .047uf caps and 250k pots for most of them.

The Lollars are very sweet and chimey for clean, but handle distortion well - very lean and tasteful sounding when pushed. Very balanced set - all work well in the in-between or stand alone settings.

Same can be said for the Suhrs except they don't have quite the bottom end tightness or focus in the neck pos when pushing distortion - to my ears at least. The bridge V60LP is extremely articulate and can be used for just about any type of hard rock. I generally keep the tone turned back to around 5 - 6 with the bridge pickup - which tops any single coil I've ever heard in that position. Something to keep in mind with this one though is that you run the risk of it being overly bright in an naturally bright sounding guitar.

The SP43 works really well in a combo Vintage Hot in neck and middle set. With a blend control you can get a wide variety of tones with that setup. IMO the SP43 lacks a bit in focus and articulation compared to the Suhr V60lp, but overall it's great sounding pickup.

I wound up selling the strat that I had the VZs in (only a couple of months) but was impressed with them as well - authoritative is the best way I can describe them. Maybe not the best choice for heavier rock compared to the SP43 and Suhr, but for anything else they'd more than capable.

20. jzucker

Any of you guys have clips? This is all starting to blend together or sounding like wine tasting. Exactly what you describe could be applied to my Dimarzio VV pickups and I'm willing to bet they sound very different from the Lollars. The problem with these types of threads is that everyone just pipes in with what they're currently using so the threads end up being a bunch of name dropping with virtually (no pun intended) every pickup known to man listed at some point.