1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Strat pickup Q

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mischultz, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mischultz

mischultz Member

I picked up a Japanese 57RI Strat this past fall with a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities. I love the neck and middle positions, but I haven't really bonded with the bridge. I've been toying the the height and just haven't found anywhere that it doesn't sound a little trashy - harsh, splatty, whatever you want to call it, but not quite musical.

With that in mind I'd love to hear a few suggestions for a Strat bridge PU that's maybe smoother up top and a little more mid-forward. Essentially, I'm looking to cover classic Fender in the other two positions and maybe draw out a little more rock from the bridge, if that makes sense.

TIA,

Michael

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You could start by wiring the bridge pickup to its own tone pot and the neck, or neck/middle to the other. Use a good 0.047 PIO cap maybe some upgraded pots and you should see an improvement in tone as well as tone control.

3. mischultz

mischultz Member

Haven't upgraded the components, but I did switch the second tone to the bridge almost immediately. I'll play with the pot and cap values as well and see what transpires.

Thanks,

Michael

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Lace Hot Gold. 6k version. Should be right on per that description.

5. mischultz

mischultz Member

Follow up: I have a couple other things to check out, but for the moment, I have a Fralin baseplate that I'd forgotten about in there adding girth to the bridge PU. It's close. It may be what I need when it's all said and done, but it's certainly close. Great low-cost option for those looking for a little more...

Michael