Strat pickup question/Suhr BPSSC

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Slotunes, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Hello.I am thinking of putting the Suhr BPSSC in my early 90's 57 RI My question is how can one tell if the middle pickup is RWRP??When I bought the guitar new it had the 3 way switch and I swapped it out for the 5 way.ALL pickup positions are noisey and that leads me to believe my middle pickup isnt RWRP.I want to finally tame this beast as the pickups sound awesome albeit noisey!!Is it easy to put the system in?Any input greatly appreciated!

2. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

If it has the 57/62 RI pups you will be alright. They are not RWRP and I have them with a Suhr BBS and it works great.

If the in between positions are as noisy as the single positions then it sounds like you have a non RWRP middle.

I found it really easy to install it. If you have changed out pups and can solder it is pretty easy. Just connect the wires according to the instructions.
    IMHO the Suhr BBS is a great product.
    It maybe doesn't eliminate 100% of the noise in every situation or place but it makes a huge difference overall and the pups sound just the same.

Spend a little time when setting the trim pots on the system and move around a bit and change the setting to get the quietest setting in all positions and I think you will be happy.

It makes practicing in our noisy practice place possible without always being in the "in between" spots.

Good luck!

PS: if you're still not sure just take out the middle pup and it should repel the other pups when you put the magnets next to each other.

3. Slotunes

Anyone know the ETA of the Suhr system for P90 pickups?Thanks

4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The system is very easy to use and install. I have it on both my old Strat and my Tyler and it works as promised!

Matt

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

An easy way to tell is look at the wires. If the black and white connect to the same side of the pickup on all three you should be good to go.

This works for most pickups, however there are some pickups that use color coded wire for each pickup - then you'd need a polarity tester.

6. Slotunes

Thanks to all!Cant wait to tame my p90s!!