Strat pickup question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silencer eleven, Sep 3, 2005.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

So, I have an amer. deluxe strat, and I have a set of lindy fralin vintage hots in it. Right now i'm primarily on the middle pickup, because, i truly just love that pickup. Neck pickup also sounds very nice, however the bridge is just to trebbley for me, I can't seem to find a nice smooth od tone outta my bridge p/u. So i'm thinking of throwing in a humbucker, or soap bar? maybe seymour duncan antiquity? So my question is, what would all of you reccommend as far as a bridge humbucker for a strat?
    I'm just looking for nice smooth OD tones, with alot of balance.

evan.

2. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    Harmonic Design, High Order, Vintage Vibe, WCR, the list goes on and on. These are all quality and will work with your needs.
    peace,
    Dave

3. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Fralin SP 43 is a great match with the VH's IMHO.

4. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

anybody have any thoughts on p90 pickups? i don't know much about them, what are their sound characteristics?

evan

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I looked on fralin's site, but coudln't seem to find the sp 43 could anybody perhaps give me a link?

thanks

evan

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Look under products, steel pole 43. It's there.

7. SLG

SLG Member

+1 Either the Fralin SP43 or the Rio Grande Stelly pickup resides in the bridge position of all my Strats.

8. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

what P90's do you like? i have been very interested in those.

thanks,

evan

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

That guitar being an Am. Dlx Strat should have the tone control on the bridge pickup, so a larger cap would be a good starting point. If it has the no-load (delta tone system) pots, i think it's about time to get some new ones... :)

or, wait till the WCR SRs become available again, get a set and stop your pickup search for ever. :D

10. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

How do these 2 pickups compare?

11. SLG

SLG Member

The Fralin SP43 does a good job covering the P90 territory. It goes well with the Fralin Vintage Hot middle and neck pickups. Tonewise, The SP43 is not an exact copy of the original P90 pickup, but I prefer the convenience and versatility of the SP43 over an original P90. The SP43 pickups are consistent in sound and quality. When I buy one, I know what I'm getting. Original P90's are all over the map. Some are great, some are decent, some are terrible.

The Rio Grande Stelly is a Muy Grande (hot) Tele pickup wind on a Strat bobbin. I use this pickup along with a Strat super switch to give me the bridge/neck pickup combination. IMO the Stelly is the perfect pickup for Strat players that would like a good, beefy Tele bridge sound added to their Strat. Think more along the lines of the older, hotter Fender Nocaster pickup. At this time, the Stelly is my favorite Strat bridge pickup. I get the versatility of both Strat and Tele sounds in one guitar.

Which pickup is better? Neither. Both these pickups are excellent choices for a Strat. Neither require additional routing, and fit most standard single coil Strat routs. I like both pickups enough to justifiy having guitars setup with each pickup in the bridge postion.