• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat Pickup Recommendation

GloryJones

Looking for special set of single coils for my Strat. My Strat is alder with an ebony board and tends to be a little midrangy and stiff sounding.

I've had success with Fender Custom Shop 54s, and a custom set with A2 magnets (super low wind). I've tried Lollards Blondes and while they're great sounding pickups, they did not work in this guitar.

I think I prefer a 50s wind, in the 5K range (with a hotter bridge). Something with a scooped midrange but not too chimy and bright. I'm not looking for the traditional, 60s Strat sound.

I think alnico 2s sound good in this guitar.

Any thoughts?

rkp111

I have a set of Klein s-7 (EJ) and a s-8 (Gilmour) for the bridge. I have had a lot of other pu combinations fender and boutique and I tell you these are fantastic . Check them out.

DeuceII

Silver Supporting Member
I also have an ebony FB strat. I put a set of Lollar Blackface in and it sounds great to my ears.

GloryJones

Any thoughts on the Tonerider Pure Vintage set? The price for the set is really low, which is sort of a red flag. I know price doesn't always reflect quality. Anyone have experience with their products?

crazyneddie

I can't give you any specifics but I agree you are on to something with the A2 magnets. I recently went with a set with A3, A4, and an A5 in the bridge. It's working for me.

Lewguitar

Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups are my favorite Start pickups. I have the Texas Hot in the bridge.
Yep. Although I use the Antiquity Surfers with a Fralin SP43 as the bridge pickup.

I use the Fralin Vintage Hots too.

Lewguitar

I can't give you any specifics but I agree you are on to something with the A2 magnets. I recently went with a set with A3, A4, and an A5 in the bridge. It's working for me.
I don't like A2 in a Strat. Doesn't get the sound I reach for a Strat to get...especially the clean Mark Knopfler or clean SRV or clean Hendrix kind of tones. Those classic, bubbley, slightly glassy tones.

Mincer

I actually dig Five Twos. They still have that piano-like bass, but the highs aren't so ice-picky. I use them in my Warmoth strat.

4styx

I have a set of those pickups too, very nice. What is the tweed you're playing through?
Sorry, not my clip. I just like the sound of the pickups and the playing of course. The amp is a Muleskinner 22.

Trending Topics