1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

strat pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregory70, Oct 11, 2005.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I have 4 strats. Three have Lindy Fralin pickups (2 blues specials, 1 vintage hot). My most recent strat has stock pickups. I absolutely love the Fralins but would like to try something new with the most recent acquisition. I was thinking of Suhr LP's or WCR's (if I can find some). I pretty much play blues and rock. Any thoughts?

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I use Hamel Strap pups and they're the best I've ever heard. You can hear them here

The slide solo (I use my Strat as a dedicated slide guitar) has Hamels. The rhythm guitar is a Tele with Hamels.

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I bought a used set of Lollars from a fella that replaced them with Hamels. While he had nothing put praise for both sets, the Hamels were the ones that did it for him.

After using 6-7 pickup sets from vaious makers over the last 20 years...my search stopped the moment the Lollars went in.

I'd love to try the Hamels, but the Lollars sound so damn good, they ain't coming out of this guitar!

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Suhr V60's
    your search will be over.
    :AOK

Richard

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm digging my Van Zandt vintage plus/ rock combo but I haven't tried the previously mentioned pups either. Not going to mess with a good thing.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Can nobody tell us WHY they so like XXX pickup so much instead of YYY which sounds almost the same in a clip???

7. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

8. mischultz

mischultz Member

I've really grown to love my Vintage Vibe set. To my ear, they maintain a great balance from the low end *through* the mids to the highs. It's sort of the opposite of the new John Mayer "Big Dipper" set in that there's not really any drop off or drop out through the middle. What I get are five great, slightly "hifi" tones with a comfortable top end. I'll typically find two positions on any given Strat - one of the in-betweens and whichever single pickup is really *right* - that I dig, but these have set the bar for me from here on out.

Hope that helps.

Michael

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

Although i agree with you, this site has a very wide collection of samples which IMO help to spot a few differences among models.

I repeat that the best way is to test them "in person", but clips might help narrow one's quest.

btw, WCR SRs are the best Strat pickups i ever played-owned...

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

After trying dozens of pickups in my Strats over the years, I've come to the conclusion that, due to the interaction of the pickups and the wood in the tone creating process, you have to try pickups out on YOUR guitar until you find the right one's. I've had pickups sound bad in one Strat but sound excellent in another.

Clips can narrow the field a bit but, in the end, there's only one piece of wood in the world exactly like the one(s) in your guitar. And, don't forget to experiment with pickup height....it can make a big difference. Use your ear and not a ruler. Strings can also make a big difference.

11. gregory70

I did a search for Hamel pickups and could find almost nothing. Is there a site from which these can be ordered. I am still wrestling with the Suhr's or the WCR's, but am intrigued by the Hamels.

12. HHB

HHB Member

as resident cheapskate I can whole heartedly endorse the GFS "texas" alnicos, I like em as well as anything I've ever used, the price is too good to be true but it is!

13. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I have one strat with the SCN, another with the Hol Gold Lace Sensor, and the last one with the CS Fat 50's

The CS Fat 50's are my preferred. Why?

Around 6.5k, slightly louder than standard PU's.
    Neck and middle PU are very balanced and clear. Glassy highs, smooth mids. Bridge PU could be better, because is a little thin. I think the CS54 are better is this position.
    Classic sound and sings with OD

14. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i have yet to see anybody else on this forum talk about using Seymour Duncan's Antiquity line of pups. I have the Antiquity II's which are 60's style pups wound on Alnico 5 mags and they totally smoke. I like the Fralins too, but the Antiquity II's have a little bit more raw tone to them, slightly more agressive, but not at all overwound and dark sounding like some pups. I highly recommend them and i had to choose between the Fralins and Antiquity II's, for playing blues and rock, i would go with the aniquity II's.

15. gregory70

I've thought about this a little more. I will primarily be using these pickups with overdrive pedals. The Suhr v60lp's are supposed to be good for that. Is this true? Or should I just hold out for the WCR SR's (they seem to be the one everyone likes)? Thanks for the help!

16. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

Very well said.....!!!
    couldnt agree more.....

Shane...:AOK

17. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Lollars .... I have never been so impressed with a pickup. They are just wonderful sounding. You really can't go wrong with them IMO.

I've been really digging the Van Zandt Blues & Rock pickups lately too.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Since we're all just posting our favorites, here's mine:

Fralin Vintage Hots w/SP43 in the bridge

Fralin Blues Specials

Fralins have a gorgeous chimey and throaty tone that is quintessential Strat-O-Caster.

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

20. fig

fig Member

Bill Lawrence. VERY quiet and great tone. Read the reviews on Harmony Central . .

. . . and call and talk to Becky Lawrence . .