Strat pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GloryJones, Jan 26, 2012.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

Looking for a new set of pickups for my guitar.

Preface:
    Playing a custom strat with a rosewood fingerboard and alder body. Brass nut, Callaham bridge. Current pickups are custom wound to vintage specs (around 6.4K?)... Playing out of a Blues Jr. type combo. Playing mellow bluesy stuff with the tendency to get a little heavier and dirtier. Mostly a clean player...I use a variety of effects (mostly overdrive).

Looking for:
    A set around 6K (neck, middle). Likely Alnico V magnets, something warm and not TOO bright. Not super glassy. I like the output of the CS 69s, but they're too bright for my taste. Some sort of "scooped" mids would be nice. I'm mostly a clean player, so I'm looking for something that will give me the classic tones... Most importantly in Neck, Neck/Middle, and Middle/Bridge.

So far, I'm a fan of the Lollar Blackface and Blonde pups. I like the Bare Knuckles Mother's Milk set too. The Klein 1957s sound good.

Based on the specs of my guitar and the sound I'm after, what do you think? I know this is a tough question but I'm only looking for suggestions. Thanks.

2. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have Klein "EJ"s in my 1982 Alder/Rosewood/Callaham/STRAT. But their the only ones I have tried! The site has the specs. on these. I also changed all the electronics out to RS Vintage. It sounds killer clean and with gain!!!

3. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

You know I like Lollar Dirty Blonde set, especially if you want scoop tone.

4. Ziad

Ziad Member

vintage vibe pickups
    OUTSTANDING customer service!

5. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Supporting Member

Sounds like you're looking for a cross between a Blonde and a Blackface. Blondes are scooped, but Alnico IIs while Blackfaces are Alnico Vs but a much fuller sound. I use Dirty Blondes, but if you're looking for more classic tones the Special wouldn't be for you. Perhaps Blondes in the neck and middle with a Blackface in the bridge? The blondes will give you that scooped tone you want and the blackface may dial back some of the brightness and glassiness of the Blonde in position #4.

Don't know about the other sets, can only speak intelligently about the Lollars.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I have that set in my K-Line S-style. I love the neck pickup - but the Special in the bridge doesn't do anything for me. Thinking about a Joe Barden. Opinions?

7. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Scooped mids=Klein S-5 pickups.

9. jkokura

jkokura Member

I love Tom Anderson pickups. I totally recommend you check them out. I have also really liked some Sheptone PAF types in my semi hollow, so I'd be willing to try his strat pickups too.

Jacob

10. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got more to work with now. Still digging the Lollars...The Klein 57s are up there too. I'll keep looking.

11. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I have Dimarzios on all of my strats. Love them. Check their website for the right ones for your playing style and taste. Have different pickups to sound like different eras. i.e., '59 etc. Also the virtuals are great as well.