Strat pickup that looks like a typical Strat pickup but sounds like a PAF

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GCDEF, Feb 24, 2012.

1. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

what are my options for a humbucker that sounds like a humbucker rather than a single coil, but looks like a single coil?

2. macruz94

macruz94 Member

Interested in this as well.

3. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

DiMarzio Injector Bridge (not quite PAF, but thick and noiseless)
    Kinman HX85 (more like a P90 though, and noiseless!)

The one that DOES resemble a PAF, but doens't look like a single coil, would be the DiMarzio Pro Track. Blades.

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

The Pro Track supposed to be humbuckerish, but it not. Pretty cool for thick and swelling dumble type tones in the neck, but not the answer.

There is no answer, I've tried many of them and ended up (and still am) converting my strats to HSS ... and enjoying the word of the PAF.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Thanks. I should mention I'm mainly interested in something for the bridge position.

6. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Lace Sensor Red in the bridge, Silver in the Middle and Blue in the neck. If you guitar is wired for TBX control change the ground loop path if you decide to use these.

7. dazco

dazco Member

The duncan lil' 59 is fairly close i thought, tho i didn't feel it cleaned up that good with the volume. Plus it didn't quack when combined at all. But of the 6-7 strat sized bridge pups i tried that was closest to what you want. Personally my fav is a Lawrence i think is called a XL350 thats no longer made. It's the only strat sized HB i ever used that i really liked, tho it doesn't sound like a PAF or any HB. Then again, none of them really do. The lil 59 i said was CLOSEST, but it still didn't sound real close. If you want that you'll need to route the guitar.

None of the ones i tried however look like a standard strat p/u. You just aren't going to find one that does that comes remotely close. Side by sides are gonna get much closer.

8. MSS

MSS Member

I would agree about the l'il 59 although it doesn't have the mids of a full-sized humbucker (to my ears!). I actually like SP43's (which are more like p-90's) but they clean up well and can really grind. One of my fave pup sets for strats.

9. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

How do like this combo? I read plp saying the red in the bridge is to bright, then others say its great...I'm also looking for a good combo for my 57 strat

10. bsteff666

bsteff666 Supporting Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    If you need it to still look like a STOCK strat pickup...the best I've found is a Lollar Special.

I'm not saying it sounds exactly like a humbucker...but it does have enough of the right qualities for me to get in the ballpark of that sound. I think they sound great.

I would be curious to try that Dimarzio Injector though.

11. bynt

bynt Member

Again, it sounds more like a P-90, but the Wilde 289 (?) is a killer noiselss pickup. I forget the model number, but Becky will help via email. I love Bill Lawrence forever because of my strat pickups.

12. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I had this combination in a 94 Stratocaster Plus Deluxe. It was very cool for a lot of stuff. I was doing a 1 man show with MIDI sequences as my back-up band. I was playing it through my Mark III Boogie. It was a versatile set-up. It didn't glisten like a normal Strat though and after 10 years with it I sold it and bought a Les Paul (I already had a regular Strat too). In the past few weeks I found out that the way Fender wired the Lace Sensors with their TBX control sucked the high end off the instrument. My neighbor who has a Stratocaster Ultra changed his wiring and low and behold it was amazing. Had I had known this I wouldn't have sold the guitar. Live and learn I guess. Long and short of it was I liked it. If I had changed the wiring I would have loved it. YMMV.

13. dazco

dazco Member

yeah, doesn't sound right to me either. The BLUE is the one that would be closer. It has an output closer to a PAF and is the fullest sounding of the 4 original lace pickups. Not there tho, just closER.

14. Amplite

Amplite Member

When I called Dimarzio with the same question one of the tech guys said "I think the Virtual Vintage Heavey Blues II sounds most like a P90."
    I've not had the chance to try it out. I am planning to try that with an Injector in the neck for a humbucking Strat. I just wonder if they clean up when the volume is backed down?
    Anyone have one of these in a Strat bridge position?

15. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

What about the Zexcoils? I've been impressed with the demos. I did Email Scott Lawing and got a quick response with a reccomendation. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

information@zexcoil.com