Strat pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sdlm, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sdlm

Sdlm Member

I'm looking at upgrading the pickups of my std american strat. It's currently set up with fat 50s single coils, I'd however like to expand the sonic possibilities a bit further to fit my style. The guitar's got a maple fingerboard.

What single coils would you recommend considering the following parameters:
    -Fat and moderately high output bridge. Tight bass response, mid growl, some of that traditional strat cut
    -Moderately fat middle pickup. Not overly hot and not too clanky.
    -Bell-like sounding neck pickup. Somewhat scooped mids with smooth and glassy highs.
    -Hum cancelling

I've so far looked at options from Dimarzio and Kinman and was possibly thinking of (neck to bridge) Area 67/Virtual vintage blues/Virtual solo (Dimarzio) and Woodstock AVn69/AVn62-MK-I/Hx-85 (Kinman) combos. Not too sure about neck and middle choices... Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

3. c_mac

c_mac Member

Really and truly, check out the EMG S set. Not the SAs or the Gilmour setup, the S pickups. They have blown my mind with how they sound. I play a lot of country and I also play a lot of rock with a good amount of gain at times, these handle everything amazingly well. They are super clear and open sounding with some nice twang in the bridge and some of the best quack I've heard in the 2 and 4 positions. The neck position has that great bluesy tone as well. I can't recommend them enough. I know the stigma that EMGs have with metal music and such but the S set is the same set that Vince Gill uses and he is far from metal.

4. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

5. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Mine came from a guy on CL who pulled them out of his Nash.:huh:dunno

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I have Lollar and Fralin loaded strats. Really can't go wrong either way.

7. cugel

cugel Member

if you have to go noiseless then your options become a bit more limited. i didnt care for my dmz virtual blues or whatever they were. long gone. hum has never bothered me so i went for lollar blondes and i also have a set of old kleins (S1s??).

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

The OP says hum-canceling and people are throwing out non hum-canceling pickups :huh

9. David Garner

David Garner Member

I've never tried the Kinmans, but the Area 67 neck and Virtual Solo bridge should both be outstanding. If you want a fat middle pickup, consider the Area 61 instead of the Blues, or maybe the 54 Pro if you want a touch more output and midrange. My favorite 2 setups were Area 58s in the neck and middle and a 61 in the bridge, and an Area 61 in the neck, 58 in the middle and Virtual Solo in the bridge. The first is perfect vintage Strat tones, the second somewhat better for rock and smoky blues.