Strat Pickups...I know the problem.what's the answer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by amigo30, Oct 5, 2008.

1. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Ok..I've got a 60th Anniversary American Strat with the delta tone system and I think 57/62 vintage pickups, RWRP middle.

I also have a couple of Les Pauls that get most of my playing time. I'm just a Les Paul kinda guy. I do love the way my Strat feels and plays..but the pickup hum just drives me nuts. I've determined I'd play it a LOT more if it weren't for the hum. I play mostly rock with some occasional blues.

I'm thinking about throwing some Fender Hot Noiseless pickups in there to get rid of the hum and make it sound a little more "rock"..but will I lose all of the cool "bell-like clarity" if I do that?

Also...it is routed H/S/H. Should I just give up on the single coil issue and throw a humbucker in the bridge? If so, do I get any noise cancelling in position 2 and 4 then?

I'd love to make one change that gets rid of the hum, makes me love the tone, but still sound like a strat, and maybe be a bit better for distorted rock tones.

What's the answer? Oh...I've never wired a strat before..so if there are any landmines I need to look out for..please give me a heads up..thanks...

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

How about the Suhr backplate system?

3. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I just checked it out..but unfortunately it says:
    That doesn't rule it out, but it means a pickup change in conjunction with the system..bumping the cost up around 500 bills if I do a full pickup change.. Not the end of the world..but a lot of cash to experiment with..

Great suggestion though. Any others?

4. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I'd swap the pickups for Dimarzio Areas. IMHO, they kill the Fender Noiseless stuff.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

or Lace, or EMG. All lovable tones, all a bit different.

6. amigo30

amigo30 Member

The DiMarzio Areas may be just the ticket. Has anybody else had good luck with them?

7. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I have the following setup in a strat: '54 Pro = bridge, Area '61 = middle, Area '58 neck. I think they're very convincing for noiseless pickups. Not quite the same as real signle coils, but I haven't come across any noiseless that are. But the Areas are very good, and I've used them live. The '54 in the bridge fattens things up a bit for bluesy type solos, and works very well if you connect it to a tone pot.

8. 57paf

57paf Member

The BPSSC with a non-reverse middle pickup is expensive, but it will sound like your pickups without the noise (as long as you don't have anything super hot). So I wouldn't classify it as an "experiment." I would consider auditioning various noiseless pickups as an experiment.
    If you like your pickups, then I would recommend the BPSSC. If you don't, then it might be worth to explore the various alternatives.
    Good luck and let us know what your assessments.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The worst thing to do is to try and make a Strat something its not...it is what it is, noise and all. Everything I've tried to make a Strat less noisy ended up compromising the tone I like...but I'm a Strat-o-nut of the highest order and I refuse to compromise my tone. And I won't even think of putting a RWRP pickup in the middle position of any of my Strats...to my ears, the opposing magnetic field kills the tone of all 5 positions.

Having said that, the least compromising noise cancelling Strat pickup I've tried are the Kinman's...there's still too much tonal compromise there for this Strat-o-nut but they may be tolerable for you ;).

10. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Good points of view here...I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks guys..

My inner GAS voice is telling me to try a set of Lollars with the Suhr Backplate..I have no idea why because I've never heard a set of Lollars..lol...it must be just that it's the most expensive thing I could possibly do..

I have heard good things about the Kinmans..

11. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I've got a Grosh Retro Classic with Lollars and the Backplate System. It's easily one of the very best sounding Strat's I've ever heard, period. I had Kinmans in another guitar a short while back and there's absolutely no comparing the 2. The Lollars are pure magic. I've got another Grosh Retro Classic with Lindy's. Same result, just an amazing tone.
    The Backplate System is great and the guys at Suhr are very, very helpful if you have any questions.