strat pickups: lollar vs. hamel

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drjoel, Apr 20, 2005.

1. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

just installed a long, long awaited set of hamel staggered alnico 5 pups in a '60 relic and they are killer. silky and ass kicking at the same time. i was a little surprised at how much better they sound then the time machine pups. so now i wanna get new pups for a '56 relic. anybody have experience with lollar strat pups? i know GVCG is using a custom set. anybody have these and care to comment on tone?
    another set of hamels is the obvious choice but i don't want to wait and also wanna try something different. thanks for your time.

2. Larry

Larry Member

Check out the MP3's here:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpage.aspx?webpage_id=1

Also, if you are interested in purchasing an assembly, Acme does great work.

I have a set of Lollars - Vintage Blond for neck and middle with a Special for the bridge. They sound excellent to me.

3. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

those clips were great, but i really liked the fralins blues specials better than all the lollars. both great sounds don't get me wrong. i would like to hear some of those hamels too

4. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

where can you get hamel pups?

Dan

5. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

the only place i know is from the man himself

6. KLB

KLB Member

Dan,
    How's the L'pool suiting you?

Contact "Ron Ellis" <t2ellis@pacbell.net> for Hamel pickups. Ron is the sales agent. There may be a long wait. Alan Hamel's wife passed away unexpectedly a few months ago and production had stopped for a while. I don't know if he is back making them yet. There is a LONG waiting list. He is best known for his Tele set.

I am digging the Hamel '54 set in the Morgaine. I finally rewired it to move the bottom tone control to the bridge pickup, and put the middle on the neck tone. I was surprised to find a pair of vintage Sprague .022mf "bumblebee" caps in there!

- Ken

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

Doc.... The DT has Lollars. They are flat pole type and more refined than the time machine series. The flat pole set up makes them less spikey and smoother sounding. I also just put a set of Snake Oil strings on the DT. Now that's a revelation!!!!!!! I didn't think the hype surrounding them could be true. How could a set of strings make that big a difference. Big difference!!!!
    Give me a call
    Rico

8. KLB

KLB Member

You know, we have multiple "Holy Grail" pickups available to us nowadays. I can be happy with a variety of different pickup brands and types.

The law of diminishing returns certainly applies...

Cheers,
    Ken

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Hi Ken

Thanks for the info. I'd like to try his Tele pickups.

Your Morgaine strat is still haunting me. Between that guitar and the Suhr Tele and the Grosh set neck you have the coolest guitars I've ever seen.

The 'Pool is here! It got here yesterday and I'm now "burning it in" as it's maker suggests. Will be doing a little experimenting with tubes. It sounds great but that's never stopped us from trying to make it sound better has it?

:rolleyes: ;)

Dan

10. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I've never played Hamel's, I'm sure they're fine. I do currently have a Lollar loaded Strat (Specials) and love the way they cover "all the bases".