1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strat pickups.. or route for a bucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Icetech, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Icetech

Icetech Member

I have a MIM strat which i totally LOVE the way it plays.. but the pups kinda blow.. mid and neck arn't too bad.. bridge is useless, and to be honest i have never heard a bridge single coil i liked..

I know that some companies make a HB that will fit in a single coil slot, but do they actually have the power of a real bucker?

I am used to Rio Grande tallboys in my sg's...

Would i be better off to router and do a HB/SC/SC combo?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

FWIW, if you rout for a hb in a Strat you still get to cover up your mistake if it doesn't work out.
    The s/s/h combo works well for many folks.

3. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

If its a Standard its probably already routed for a bridge humbucker.

4. dallas

dallas Member

5. Icetech

Icetech Member

naw.. its for a SC.. but i have a router... i figure cover the whole top of the guitar in tape and start cutting..... BBBXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ OOPS>>.. fudge..... hello warmoth?

6. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I got really good results with a Dimarzio Pro Track in the bridge position of MIM Strat. I put it in for a friend of mine and he's very happy with it. It's a single coil size bucker. So no routing.

7. Icetech

Icetech Member

Thanks gtrjoe im gonna have to check them out:) trying to find some rio grandes for a good price for the neck/mid right now:)

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If you're interested, try the Fralin Steel Pole or I think Harmonic Design makes a hot SC like the Fralin- they do for the Tele. I have the Fralin that I used- it's pretty P-90 ish in intensity and "balls." I love the HD pickups in my Tele. They're not just overwound Fender pickups- there's an entirely different flavor goin' on there.

9. kipknee

kipknee Member

FWIW, I've got the Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 in my Strat. Great HB tone, but obviously it's not going to sound like a Les Paul.

I have to wonder whether some of the tone of a regular HB is partly due to the front/back spacing of the pole-pieces. I would think that the tight spacing of a single-coil-sized HB has to give it a tone somewhat closer to a single-coil (without the hum, of course.) Hard to say without doing a direct comparison between two appropriately equipped Strats. Hmmm, an excuse to buy another Strat? :p

10. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

A real bucker always sounds better if its a good one. I have Fralin Blues Specials in neck and middle and an unbucker in the bridge. Its a lot of fun.

11. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

When running a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge of a strat with single coils in the mid and neck, how do you handle the pot size? Don't humbuckers require 500K pots to fully open up???