Strat Pickups Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveV60, May 31, 2008.

1. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

I have some SuhrV60LP's that I installed in my strat. I'm not really all that pleased with the neck pup. The middle and bridge seem okay. The neck pup doesn't seem to get that hollow-throaty sound everyone (strat users) want. Any Ideas. It just sounds sooo midrangey and boomy. The box said neck pup. Is there a particular ohm reading that says this is a neck pup etc? I may try reinstalling the stock AM Strat neck pup. I've had the Suhrs so long I don't remember the sound of the stock ones. Thanks.

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

We may have different ideas about what "hollow-throaty" sounds like but my V60LP's sound fine. If you haven't already --- try lowering that pup. My neck pup is barely above the pickguard, the middle is only slightly higher. They sound great. Good luck.

3. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

Thanks a bunch. I really want to get an SRV/JIMI/Landau neck pup sound. Clean and dirty. I will lower and try again. Good to hear from another Suhr user. Do you have those pup's on a Suhr or Fender guitar? Thanks again.

4. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

5. Iversen

Iversen Member

I too have the V60LP installed in a Fender Strat and I'm gonna replace them as soon as I liberate a set of Fender 54's that I have in another strat. I've tried adjusting the height, but they just don't do it for me.

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I have "that sound" on two of my strats. The ash body, all maple neck has a Van Zandt Blues. The alder/rosewood strat has a Rio Grande Tallboy. These are both in the neck. I love that tone. I'm always on a quest for that tone. That's why I have 4 strats. You will get THAT tone with that combo. I've tried a bunch, and have been disappointed. Not with VZ and the Rio. Nailed it!!