1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strat pickups that won't ice-pick the hell out of my ears?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Mar 14, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

Looking for some pickups that make my strat still sound like a strat, but I don't want them to make my ears hurt on the bridge pickup. I've been looking at the fender CS '54s and '69s... Any others worth a look at?

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I'm a huge fan of Dimarzio pickups,
    They also have a good range of strat replacement pups to suit your needs.
    Hop on to their site and have a read and listen to the clips.
    Love em.

3. RockGodII

RockGodII Guest

Lindy Fralin's or nothing...I have LF Vintage Hots in my strat and there is NOTHING like them.....:RoCkIn Well worth the $$ if ya want the best....

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Love the Bill Lawrence L298SL, its bright like a strat bridge pup but no Ice Pick, I also have one of the the tone knobs dedicated just to the bridge pup which I think is needed!

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Duncan Antiquity's...specifically the Strat "Custom Bridge" pickup....fat and round....no ice picks.

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

I use Suhr V60LPs. Great tone, no ice picks.

But before changing, have you tried resolving by judicious use of tone controls?

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

WCR might still be making the SR's but I am not sure-call Wags or shoot an email-he'll fill you in..

8. stratofied

stratofied Member

Some good suggestions so far. Love the WCR and Jason Lollar sets.

9. drolling

drolling Member

If I was looking around for aftermarket pickups now, I'd be overwhelmed w/the choices, but I've had Fralin vintage hots in mine for years - no comparison to the stock fender p-ups they replaced.

I'll also recommend you get a steel plate wax potted to the base of the bridge p-up. Definitely gives you the thicker, darker tone you're looking for.

10. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Rewire your guitar so the tone knob affects the bridge pickup.

11. jpagey

jpagey Member

And add a Demeter Mid-Boost.
    Also, Duncan Alnico II and Custom Staggered Strats are nice p/ups with out the ice pick.

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I had a '62 reissue strat years ago.

I found all the actual fender sets pretty nasty in that particular guitar and ended up with a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs, Fralin baseplate on the bridge pickup, and the tone re-wired from middle pickup to bridge pickup.

Did the trick nicely.

13. johan

johan Member

I've tried Fralins, Lollars and WCR's and they all sound great but tend to be ice-picky played at lower volumes thru my BF Fenders. For a "softer"/"darker" tone I would recommend the Antiquitys.

14. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I love the FRALINS in my strat. I have a baseplate on my bridge pickup, but not on the other 2. See my video clips in the "What is/are a Trainwreck" thread on the amp page for come clips of my guitar.

Still, you must also factor in the potentiometer value. Make sure you go with a 250k pot. Anything bigger will add to the brightness. I've had several guitars that I thought were too bright (or dark in two cases) and so I changed the pickups. Later I went back to the stock pickups, BUT changed the pots and got exactly what I wanted in the first place.

The word is, the loading of the volume pot has a big effect on tone. ALSO, don't trust the numbers on the pot as the tolerances of these things can be very wide. I just recently bought a new LP standard and the stock 300k (marked) pots were actually 260k with a Fluke meter, which made for a very muddy Les Paul...I usually like 500ks with PAFs, 250ks with strats and teles.

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Good points Geetarpicker.

Another thing which I think is useful is a cap across the volume pot so the guitar doesn't turn to mud when you turn down the volume.

While this would seem to be contradictory to this thread i.e. more treble retained as the vol is turned down,what I find is that it enables me to set up the amp/pedals etc for a darker overall tone so I get a rounder sound for leads at full volume and crisper cleaner sounds for rhythm when I turn back the vol.

It just makes it easier to balance the sounds and EQ for me. Personal thing I guess.

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Suhr V60LP's will do ya :)

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Are all of the pickups ice picking you? I got rid of the problem by replacing my strats bridge pickup with a Fralin Steel Pole 43. Great woody tone with lots of mids and no ice pick in sight. Now the set is perfectly balanced.