1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

strat pickups to add low end etc

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Paul Conway, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

My strat is light alder and lacks a little in the low-end department accordingly. Can anyone suggest pickups to address this?

2. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Maybe a Tom Anderson or Rio Grande? I have tried the Tom Andersons - not sure exactly which model it was but they were true single coils which could be tapped for a lighter brighter tone (which I did not use). They are fatter than a classical strat pickup. I have not personally tried the Rios but I read in a test in a German magazine that they were the darkest of the lot tested (the other were vintage style pickups).
    Also, if you can get them (they are no longer made as far as I know), WCR's single coils are fat sounding. I have a neck and a middle pickup. The reason I changed them for the Andersons in a particular guitar was the difference between the clean and overdriven tones. When I added overdrive to the WCRs they became a lot fuller sounding. The difference was so much in that particular guitar that it made it almost impossible to get balanced clean and OD tones - I had either a good OD and a weak clean tone or a good clean and a muddy OD tone. It may have been the guitar though. I have another guitar built right now in which I plan to use the WCRs and I hope they will work in a more balanced way there. It would be a pity if not because the OD tone is so woody with them.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I use WCR's SR set in my Strat and they solved the problem of the thin stock pickups. The neck and middle pups sound amazing, very warm and full. The bridge can be a bit thin but I think that is just the bridge position on Strats in general. I wonder why he stopped making them?

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I'd like to find some nice stratty sounding singles with rich low end. It always seem the hotter ones are louder but just get more middy or honky. What magnet or wire would you want for a deeper sounding single?

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Lace Hot Golds have some extra bottom and are pretty quiet to boot.

6. angus99

angus99 Member

I have an alder Strat with maple neck & just put a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfers in the neck & middle and an Ant. Texas Hot Custom in the bridge. I bought 'em from Lewguitar on the SD forum after reading rave reviews about this set. They're fantastic. Great Strat tones with a lotta balls in the bridge for classic rock.

angus