strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james435, Sep 13, 2005.

1. james435

james435 Guest

hey everyone,

I've been reading these forums for quite a long time, but I've just recently registered. Right now, I have a little dilemna with my strat. I have an american dlx strat 04' with the new samarium cobalt noiseless pickups and I like them, but I don't have much/any experience with strat pickups, or strats in general to tell you the truth.

Do these SCN pickups produce the traditional strat sound? I think they sound nice, both clean and distorted, but they don't seem to have a lot of dynamic range. I was wondering, do you guys think it would be worth it if i replaced these with Wagner SR's when they come into production again? Also, can the Wagner's get the 'Texas Floods' tone as well as do classic rock (think Gun's n Roses, AC/DC)? Can anyone with first hand experience compare these 2?

All comments are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. alderbody

alderbody Member

never tried the SCN pickups, but i heard good comments about them.

...but if you want the best Strat tone out there, just wait for the SRs.
    I don't know what kind of pots your guitar has now, but a replacement might be useful with the WCRs, too. (300K)

3. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

My buddy has the same guitar (50th Anniversary Deluxe) with the SCN pickups and the S-1 Switch. He has four strats and it's my least favorite of them all. The tones go from nice single coil to "bury everyone else with a pseudo-humbucker" sound very easily. The S-1 switch mades an audible "POP" when he uses it, which I would find unacceptable. He spent good money on it and he's happy, but it's the guitar he plays the least, so that should say something. He has another strat loaded with '69 Custom Shops that just sounds SO much better.

I have the old Vintage Noiseless that everyone hates in my Jap Strat, but they work for my playing, so who cares? You should ask that of yourself...if you like the SCN pickups, who cares???

-Jay

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Can't compare them but I'll say that Wagner does make the best sounding strat pickups I've tried. I was lucky to find a pair used and I don't think I'd consider using anything else. I went through three or four varieties before settling on Jim's SRs. Get them on the right guitar and yes, they'll do that Texas Flood sound.

5. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Leon,

Did you ever try the Harmonic Design pickups?

cmn

6. Leonc

Nope. Nor the Bill Lawerence, nor the new Suhrs, nor the Lollars nor...hell, there's probably 50 others I haven't heard either. It is entirely possible that they're all "better" than the Wagners...or maybe not. Until you've tried them "all" (as if that were possible), you never really know if you'll like something else more. But...of those varieties I've tried, I liked Jim's best...and [edit]NOT[/edit] just by a little bit. And at this point, I'm happy enough to not be interested in trying any others. :)

edit - man what a dummy. I left out the most important word of that sentence! :rolleyes:

7. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    Jim Wagner's SR's are tops, in my book, but Mike Gray mgray55@hotmail.com. can wind you a set of Chubtones that are VERY goodm IMHO. Let me know if you need any more info. We're here to help each other.
    Peace,
    Dave

8. Leonc

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Just take your Strat to a store that has a few and try setting an amp up with your tone and then plug in a different one, especially an EJ Strat. You may be surprised.