Strat Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lttoler, Aug 15, 2006.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I made a post earlier about what pickups I should put in my telecaster. I have decided to go ahead and do my strat while Im at it. I have a 2000ish American Fat and Im wanting to replace the pickups with all single coils. I have been interested in trying the Fender 69 Reissue, American Vintage noiseless, or Fat 50's pickups. Does anyone have any comments on these models or any others? Thanks!

2. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Do yourself a favor and avoid the vintage noiseless pickups. Lots of dissapointed owners of those. The custom shop pickups are well liked. If you want well made top shelf pickups you can check out acmeguitarworks they have a lot and also great sound samples. My current favorites are Stephens Design Mojo V's sdpickups.com but it depends on how much you want to spend.

3. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I own & really like the Vintage Noiseless and dunno why they get such a bad rap, I've heard a lot of positive reviews from people as well.

As far as regular single coils if you want a killer vintagey vibe then look no further than the CS 69's. One step up imho would be the Seymour Duncan alnico II pro, imagine a sweet PAF sounding strat tone:dude Keep thios in mind: you DON'T have to spend a fortune to get great sounding strat p/u's.

4. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Big +1, they really are bad. I remember that those were the ONLY one's that my guitar tech told me to avoid.

Of course, I don't like any noiseless pickups I have tried. If you are gonna go noiseless you are much better off going with the Dimarzio Area pickups, which I have heard and are recommended here.

The best ones out of the group you mentioned are probably going to be the CS 69's. The Jimi Hendrix "glassy" strat sound, would be the CS 69's. Depends on the sound you are looking for, pickups are very personal to each person.

Lollars, Suhr, Fralins...these will all be more money but are great brands.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The best of the noiseless Fender pickups are the Hot SCNs. For non-Fender, Fralins are well worth a try.

stratzrus

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

The Fat 50's are nice. I currently have a set of Custom 54's in one of my strats (been in for the past 5 years) and they are a great balanced sounding strat pickup. Not overwound so you don't get that mid hump.

8. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Hey, I wouldn't recommend the Noiseless pickups. I've heard they are easy to break the coils. They improved the noisless design with the new samarium cobalts with the rivoted cover so they can't get damaged as easily. If you can stand the hum, the Custom shops do sound a lot better. Fat 50's are a great set of pickups. Check Acme Guitar Works or Mojotone. I think they have them.

9. jesper

jesper Member

As I always say. If you want noiseless o Kinmann. AVN 69 or Avn 56 Mkll are very very nice pups. just remember you really have to dial them in.

10. lbw

lbw Member

Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots.

11. Tapp

Tapp Member

I was anti-noiseless too until I heard and bought some Duncan Classic Stack Plus's. These are the closest I've heard to a good vintage sounding Strat pickup. I wired up an Allparts super switch to tap the coils on the 2 and 4 positions for max quack. The middle is RW/RP so you still get the bucking effect and no noise. I wired the second tone for the bridge pickup (ala EJ Strat) and it makes this pickup usable now.

Tapp

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lollar pickups are the best Strat pickups I've ever heard

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

They don't suck, that's for sure:dude

jb

14. VanStone

VanStone Member

My first choice would be VanZandt, followed very closely by Lollar.

V

15. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

What do yall think of the other reissue's such as the fat 50's or the 54 set? Or would it be a good idea to mix some of these for B/M/N if I were to go ther Fender route?

16. straightblues

straightblues Member

Call Don Mare for both the strat and the tele. He is building special pickups.

17. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Read my post!:AOK
    The '54's are a nice balanced set. No need to mix and match IMO.

18. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

The noisless technology is constantly improving and they are getting VERY close. My 2 favorites for tele are the Dimarzio Virtual Tele, and the Bill Lawrence tele pup's. Both well made and toneful IMHO.
    No noiseless can 100% nail the tone of a single, but when you get this close, IMHO, it makes sense to be able to actually use the guitar in a club setting again. One of the best tele-wackers out there is Pete Anderson. He uses Dimarzio's for live performances, yet when he is in the studio in a perfect noise free environment, he uses Duncan Antiquities.

Moderator asked that I mention that I am a Dimarzio endorser. I still call 'em as I see 'em... always will :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

19. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

John Suhr V60 Low Peak pickup set is KILLER! Thats what I have in my strat.

20. Jim L

Jim L Member

The 54s are great pickups, especially for the money. The 2 and 4 positions have lots of "quack". Some might not like the bridge pup (might be a bit weak, depending on what you're playing), and the fact the the middle pup is not reverse wound for hum cancelling in the 2 and 4. Lots of that classic strat chime, though.

The Fat 50s have a bit more bite, but not as hot as the Texas Specials. Not as dark sounding as the Tex Specs either (a good thing, IMHO). A bit more mids compared to the more "vintage" sounding 54s. I would say if you were playing more blues and rock, between these two sets, I would suggest the Fat 50s. They retain the strat tone but give a bit more edge. The Fat 50s also have the reverse wound mid pup so the hum cancelling is there in the 2 and 4 positions.

Again, for the money, I don't think you can go wrong. The boootique pup makers are charging about twice as much for a set, and I don't know if you're getting that much "more" for your money.

just my opinion.