Strat Pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rickman769, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rickman769

rickman769 Member

I just bought a set of Lollar Tweeds and put them in my strat.
    I was going for a low output, smooth strat sound maybe a la John Mayer or something along those lines.
    To my unfortunate surprise, the tweeds sound rather thin and jangly to my ears.

My question is what pickups would give me that sound?

I like to throw some gain on now and then to rip a solo, but im really looking for that smooth, sweet sound.

Is it possible to get lollar to exchange my pickups if I didn't like them?

Sorry to post yet another strat pickups thread, but I'm really in a funk about this.

Thanks,

Ricky

2. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I totally know how you feel man.
    my "sound" took a while to find. :(
    free bump and sympathy!

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Just add a pedal. I think it is impossible to get the sweet, clean vintage sounds and still have the characteristics of a high output tube, simultaneously without adding gain somewhere in the chain. Lollar's Specials are fantastic because they can be very clean and then get mean when dialed up but they don't have some of the vintage characteristics, such as the in between position quack.

4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Which pickups were in your strat before? If they were relatively powerful pickups, then any weak pickups (and I believe John Mayer uses lower output pickups) take a lot of getting used to.

My advice would bt to stick with them for a while and play a lot with the pickup heights and your amp and pedal settings.

But failing that, I'd say that something like the CS'69 pickups should get you into the ball park. The pickups on John Mayer's CS strats are supposed to be called "Big Dipper" pickups with a scooped midrange. I can't imagine much more scooped than the CS69's.

I'm on my way though several sets of pickups to find a set I'm happy with, so I can sympathise with you. I'm a big John Mayer fan, but I'm not sure about low output pickups. There's something about the beef of a 6k or 6.4k pickup which just seems to cut through and is hard to live without when you move to a 5.6 or 5.8k pickup.

5. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

Analogman Silver TS9 with the gain set low is perfect for beefing up low output strat pickups

6. rickman769

rickman769 Member

Yeah, I had the Fender SCN pickups. I'm not too sure on the specs, that's what came stock. I've always been more of a humbucker guy and I'm pretty satisfied with my sound in that realm (PRS plus Shiva), but I'm having a tough time dialing in these single coils.

7. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

WCR SR's... Best pups out there to run in a strat... IMHO of course... :)

8. drolling

drolling Member

I was lucky, I guess, when I got around to replacing the p-ups in my ST-54 (MiJ 50s strat) - the only choice was Seymour Duncan or this new kid, Lindy Fralin.

He suggested I go with Vintage "hots". Not really a hot p-up by today's standards, but less 'thin & jangly' than the straight up 'vintage' model. About 5% overwound, IIRC..

Good advice, as it turned out; plenty glassy/chimey played clean, but enough output to work well in hi-gain situations too.

Now, there're so many great options available, I don't know where I'd begin! But Jason Lollar also makes very good pickups. It was one of his P-90s the got me pulling the trigger on a National Resolectric- every bit as good (or better!) than the ole dog ear on my '59 Gibby.

You probably weren't expecting the tweeds to sound the way they do - I'd think Buddy Holly or Hank Marvin before John Mayer, in terms of the clean tones, but that sound may grow on you over time.

Outside of a clean boost or TS-type OD pedal, you could raise their height (OTOH, I've got mine as low as they can go!) or consider waxing a steel plate to your bridge pickup. This is a cheap/reversible mod that'll really beef up the traditionally anaenmic tone of the bridge p-up. Sounds more like a tele.

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

Might want to go with a Fralin Vintage Hot, maybe with a slight overwind to get a touch more mids? Height is important too, you'll probably want them pretty close to the pickguard for that sound. Blues Specials might be a bit too hot giving too much midrange. I love my blues specials in my G&L legacy because it has a bass rolloff knob. So with the bass knob at 10, thick modern blues tone. Then I can roll it down to 5-6, Bam! Instant glassy vintage strat tone. It's perfect I love the setup and couldn't go back to a strat without the bass tone knob.

10. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

Just add a RC Booster. It will just magnify everything without losing the tone of the guitar or pickups. It works like magic.

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I like my WCR SR's.It's a gift to be able to get Wagner to wind single coils.

13. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

:agree

14. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The Lollar tweeds are very low output and have Alnco II mags, so yeah weak and thin is what I would expect.

Fralin Vintage Hots is pretty much the standard of what all great strat pickups shoot for, for me anyways. There are better/different, etc. based on your particular guitar, amp and the tones you are trying to nail.

Fralin
    Don Mare
    Suhr V60LP, FL (Standard and Classics)
    Sheptone
    Fender CS
    Lollar (Blonds/Blackface)
    Curtis Novak
    Grosh (TBA)

All of these guys can make you something that works, I just think you overshot the low output thing with the Tweeds. I'm not an A2/A3 fan at all with single coils. Gotta be A5 for me, and I prefer slightly degaused A5's...sweet, sweet pickups.