Strat players: One tone-knob or Two?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kekaiakea, Apr 7, 2015.

1. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

And why?

I just got a strat with one tone-knob and I've never realized how more presence you can get without that second knob. I believe it can good or bad depending on your application. Thoughts?

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I am sold on 1 master tone. - I wire all my Strats 1 Vol, 1 Tone, and 1 Blend. = I can blend Neck and Bridge Pups together to make my Strat sound like a Tele.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

That sounds interesting if it sounds like a tele.

I really only need a tone knob on the bridge pickup, I would rather it not affect the other two. Mine has two tone knobs and one is for the bridge, the other is for the other two, I'm not even sure how a stock one works anymore. I have a humbucker in the bridge though, but I still use the tone knob. I haven't noticed any adverse affect on tone having two tone knobs though, how does having one sound better? If you really want to be a purist, you could go the EVH route and have just a volume.

4. stevel

stevel Member

Since I generally have a HB in the bridge, I prefer the 2nd tone on it. Mine is, tone 1 on N and M, and tone 2 on B. Positions 2 and 4 take the tone knobs out of the circuit (super switch).

5. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Every strat I've owned I normally have one tone for N and M, bridge wired to it's own tone pot (EJ style). But I think with one pot out of the circuit gives the pickups a bit more output and presence (to my ears).

I'm still on the fence about if I like it better or not.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I wire the switch like a Tele (B/BN/N) and use the bottom tone knob as a blend for the middle in all positions.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Two tone knobs.

One with a TBX control, one with a MBX control.

8. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yes...
    I have three Strats wired so last knob adds the two outer pickups on....useful jingly rhythm sound like a Tele. :)

[​IMG]

9. LJD

LJD Member

One vol, one tone for middle and neck, and one bridge/neck blender (no tone for bridge unless blended and set to pos 4)

10. monty

monty Member

I could go for 0. The Strat is one guitar I very rarely touch the tone knob.

11. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I run one tone knob to the neck and middle and on dedicated to the bridge pup. I like to roll the tone knob back a little on the bridge pup but I don't like fiddling with the tone knob when I switch back to the neck or middle pup. In the future I think I might take the tone knob off completely on the middle pup.

12. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I have one Master Volume and one Master Tone. The other is a dummy pot for looks

13. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Two tones. I use an HSS strat and i like being able to pre set the bridge tone individually. Then i dont have to fiddle with the tone knob going from a rhythm sound on one of the singlecoil settings to a lead with the hb. Anything that reduce complexity on stage is good imho

14. socjiuyon

socjiuyon Member

The Strat is one guitar I very rarely touch the tone knob.
    [​IMG]

15. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

G&L-style PTB for me.

16. BlackOne

BlackOne Member

Two tone knobs.
    Settings: 99% of time - Neck tone 7.5, Middle/Bridge tone 10.

17. VictorToscano

VictorToscano Member

I have a heavily modded Squier Strat that I opted to let just two knobs, a Master Volume and a Master Tone.
    Not sure that it changes anything in presence, since my wiring is really different from most, if not all, strats.
    Just did it because I kept bumping on the Volume knob and getting quieter and quieter as time went by, haha.

18. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Two tone knobs. I use a Megaswitch on my Strat have have the position three on the switch wired for neck and bridge together, therefore the middle is only active in the 2 & 4 position. The first time knob is for the neck and middle pickups and the second time knob is for the bridge pickup only. The configuration gives me many tonal options and use them all. I also have the main tone knob wired as a push/pull pot for a treble boost.

19. c_mac

c_mac Member

One tone is more than enough for me

[​IMG]

20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Depends on the strat. you could use a no load pot and have it both ways. There is a difference, and I don't like a tone pot on the bridge because it makes it weaker. Some guys think rolling tone knob down makes it thicker, but it doesn't to me. Muffled and thinner is not thicker.