Strat Plus Ultra with a Maple Fretboard and Gold Laces?

guitarnut_1

Short question, was there any early Strat plus (ultra?)

-without a flamed maple veneer
-with a maple fretboard
-and ONLY gold lace sensor pickups
-bridge is a dual one like on all ultras

I am just wondering if the Strat I am looking at is original or not. I am not aware of a Strat Plus Deluxe which had the DUAL LACE pickup in the bridge, so it looks like an ultra to me, but doesn't match an ultra completely either.......

Apart from the dual lace in the bridge this guitars looks like a Plus Deluxe to me.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I currently have a '93 Strat Plus Dlx (SSS blue neck, gold middle and red bridge), but I also owned a surf blue Strat Plus. The Plus was three golds (SSS), standard two point block saddle trem, maple neck. I think it was a 91 or 89. Can you post a pic?

guitarnut_1

headstock is just a normal 89 strat plus with schallers and willkinson nut.

to me this looks like a rare mix between deluxe and an ultra IF original!

Although the deluxe and the ultra never had ONLY gold pickups... very strange indeed.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
It kinda looks like an early Jeff Beck strat, but the Beck strats had a button and not a switch, plus there would be a JB signature on the headstock.

I think it is a Plus that has been modded/changed. The color is throwing me off a tiny bit, as is the pearloid pick guard. The original Plus strats didn't come with a pearloid, but the Plus Dlx model did.

guitarnut_1

it really does look like a modded one..... never seen one with these features that came stock like that.

qblue

It's modded because a factory version would have 2 heightening screws on the left of the dually Humbucker in the bridge. No ultra I know of would have all Gold Laces or a maple neck. I have a Strat Ultra from 1990, and all of them have multicolor Laces and ebony fingerboards like these:

http://xhefriguitars.com/page4.html

Also check the neckplates for the word Ultra embossed on it. They should have a 3-way toggle to render control of the dually for SC/HB/SC operation.

Trending Topics