Strat pool routing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by delco, Sep 26, 2008.

1. delco

delco Member

greetings all- just joined up at this site and really looking forward to learning more here... a quick question:

what do you guys think of the 'swimming pool' routing on Strat bodies? I've gotten great opportunity to pick up a recent USA model body for a great price. It's for a partscaster effort and it has swimming pool routing in the body. Not my favorite but got such a super deal on the body I couldn't pass it up. I like the idea of the flexibility of that much pickup room but will probably go with a more tradititional Strat pickup configuration -no humbuckers or anything- so I didn't know if it was worth filling part of the pool area in or not. Will it make any difference soundwise at all? Thanks for any insight!

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

The flexibility is worth it. Corksniffers will say it makes a huge sound difference, but how could you possibly tell? It's a unique piece of wood and you couldn't compare it to another. I've enjoyed going between a regular 3 X single coil and a Big Apple setup in my Strat for years.

3. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I had a few very good sounding Strats that happened to have had a pool route.
    I say ENJOY!

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

5. Bob V

Bob V Member

The swimming pool rout also gives you room for a giant ground-isolating capacitor as recommended by the guitarnuts site (and apparenlty only recommended by those guys). Anyway, I've had my Roadhouse with a swimming pool rout for nearly ten years and nobody's fallen in yet.

6. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

7. delco

delco Member

thanks for all the help everybody! :D