Strat - Pots and caps for Lollar Blondes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Stratman76, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

250K pots seem right for these low-output Alinico II's.

No load pots? I don't see the need here, although successful Blender stories are welcome.

Wire Tone 2 for Bridge instead of Middle pup? This mod seems to makes sense or should I just leave it for the middle pup?

What tone cap value? .022 seems to be popular in this scenario. Would this change if wiring Tone 2 for Bridge?

Treble bleed for volume pot...do I even want to go here? I'm leaning against any mod on the volume pot.

And...

Thank you for sharing any Strat config. experiences you've had!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The treble bleed mod is something that should be considered after you've installed the pickups and determined if it's even necessary. As far as wiring, I am a big fan of master volume, master tone (no load optional), and blender. It's a simple approach that doesn't get confusing during a performance and the extra pickup combinations are quite usable. In fact, I never have to use the tone control to tame the bridge pickup since I can just dial in some neck pickup.

3. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I think what I'm trying to achieve could best be described as an articulate snarl. The Blender scenario would definitely provide some versatility. I've gotten some great results with standard strat 5-way wiring and simply experimenting with pickup combos. I understand no load pots will add to brightness and a standard 250k master tone would add a load to bridge where it hasn't existed in any of my other Strat creations.

One magical combo was a stock '76 Strat bridge (6K Alnico V) and a Seymour Duncan APS II (5.9K Alnico II) in the middle. To me, the stock bridge was so harsh and bright, it was unusable alone. However, the 2 position was pretty amazing with this combination. There was no tone pot to bridge and the middle was a standard 250K with a 1uF 200v cap.