Strat project - maple or rosewood?

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I have a couple projects using road worn bodies that I've com across that are really light, a white strat and a yellow tele that's now a telegib. now I'm doing another one with a 3.9 lbs alder road worn strat body in black that I found. Got a Fender fat strat mint pickguard and going to probably load it with a JB2/SSL1/SSL5 combo and black plastic. I also prefer the larger CBS headstock for this one. but I can't decide on the fretboard wood. I was originally looking to do maple, but since doing this mock-up I'm actually leaning towards rosewood. It will be a Warmoth or similar custom neck with vintage tint.

So which do you think?

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
For the fretboard wood, I'd let my hands & ears make that decision as the feel & tone of maple & rosewood are different.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
For the fretboard wood, I'd let my hands & ears make that decision as the feel & tone of maple & rosewood are different.
I have both, I'm fine with both. For this project I can't decide on which fits better in regards to the guitar's color scheme.

Thanks.

SMark

My black Strat has a maple neck, but I also reversed the colors of the plastic. I have a black pickguard with white pickup covers and knobs.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
My black Strat has a maple neck, but I also reversed the colors of the plastic. I have a black pickguard with white pickup covers and knobs.
I did the Gilmoure thing before as well, looks cool, but not so much what I'm looking for.

I also like these, but I do prefer a more vintage hot rod look and am not looking for a modern Charvel style.

K-Line

Vendor
I guarantee whichever you choose, it will be awesome! As many have already said, go with what you like as far as tones and feel. I love the tones of a maple neck on an S but like the feel of rosewood, so Pao Ferro it is!

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Whichever neck you choose, the pickguard of MY choice would be:

Black & RW = mint 11 hole
Black & maple = white/parchment 8 hole

dani

i find alder is usually fine with either rosewood and maple but i'll definitely pair swamp ash with maple.

from your mockup, the maple neck looks delicious.

if i may suggest if you are going warmoth to try a canary/canary vintage modern neck. sounds like maple, looks like aged maple without the need for a finish. the feel of raw wood rocks while saving on finishing.

here's some pics of a canary strat neck on the warmoth forum. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16408.0

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
And these are the two I'm really liking the best. Hard to choose, but they are opposites and I gotta buy a neck soon, one or the other.....hhhhmmm

Last edited:

Eminor7

I have owned Strats and S-style guitars with maple and rosewood boards. I prefer the tone and articulation of a one-piece + skunk stripe maple neck. My lastest Partsocaster has a one-piece + skunk stripe maple neck.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Own both, play both but... Maple with a little aged toner "looks" better than the rosewood. Maple with some flame - like the pic above - is beautiful - IMHO

Trending Topics