Strat Pups...Mare, Novak or Rocketfire?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tzamosti, Aug 14, 2008.

1. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Thinking about switching up some Dimarzio 58/58/61 pups in a Rick Kelly Strat...

- What's everyone thinking for their favorite strat pups, want something smooth, maybe a bit lower output. But I still want it to scream at times with OD or fuzz. Also, want to be able to do both singing leads but not get muddy with chords. What do you think?

2. tzamosti

bump...should I move this over to guitars?

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I gotta fess that I havent heard Don's or Curtis's strat pickups - but the Rocketfire pickups go into EVERY strat I've built and SO FAR - everybody has RAVED about the sound

I say Rocketfire Pickups Rule

4. tzamosti

Well...you know good pups when you see them! My tele is happy at home (and gigging) with me. How's it going, Dan? Just got this Rick Kelly and I want to try some pickup options, so much good stuff out there. My Voodoos in my tele are great. I actually ran into Florance at a guitar show...great guy, great winder.

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Go for the suhr's.. either the v60lp's or the fl's.

6. jman

jman Supporting Member

i assume you plan on keeping the Kelly,then ? glad it reached you so soon.
    -i needed noiseless so that's why the Dimarzio's were in there...
    ...i do suppose a slightly smoother pickup would be a good match for this guitar-so many great choices these days.

7. tzamosti

Hey...so far so good. Sent you a PM. Yeah, just curious about other pup options if I were to change anything up on this beauty!

8. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Thanks Dan!

I've heard good things about Novak's bass pickups. I haven't heard the either Mare's or Novak's for myself but I've heard only good. Seems like Mare is getting more and more well known by lots of Tele guys. Hard to talk Teles without hearing the name Don Mare.

Anyways, I offer a satisfaction guarantee on my pickups. If you don't love them I'll buy them back. I'm glad to do it because as a guitar builder I'm always behind on pickups for my own guitars. Hand-winding is slow!!

But fortunately/unfortunately... I haven't bought many pickups back:)

9. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Curtis Novak's pu's are the way to go. I was a Fralin guy and have tried Lollars, Lawrence, Suhrs to name a few. Now I haven't heard Mare's or Rocketfires but I will absolutely stand by these Novaks. They sound incredible and from your post seems like they will do what you are looking for.

10. sabby

sabby Member

Don Mare's Strat pups are just as good as his Teles. I got a set of each. There are lots of great pups available, of course. But Don's are just a bit better than everything I've heard. They are well-balanced, never shrill, and that have that classic single-coil spriong when you dig in, that elusive top-end compression that keeps the highs from spliting your ear-drum in two.

11. aram

aram Member

yo was there a kelly strat for sale in the forum that i missed?

i've been waiting for one. damn!!!

12. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I just got some Novaks in my strat! They are so clear and balanced! They will scream, but you may need to work with your pedals a bit! They are very vintage in tone! I'm getting some rockfire pickups for my second strat, which was built by Rocketfire! I've got Fender 57/62s in there for now and I love them dearly! I'm using them below! They really are great with OD pedals!

Cheers,

Mike

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

been on a search myself and have been watching this thread closely...

have heard a set of the Mare tele pups and liked but didn't love the neck pup and didn't care for the bridge unit others speak glowingly of them and maybe I just didn't bond with particular set...havn't heard the Novaks but hear great things about them...

until this thread I was looking at the Amalfitano 62 set (no clips and not enough info to take the leap of faith) and the Stuarts (have the teles and love em but no strat clips and expensive)...

after hearing about the Rocketfires and with DC's recommendation in this thread I jumped on a set of the 5.8K 60 pups to replace my Lollars...the clips sounded very very good...excited to get these...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. tzamosti

No...I got a trade going for one, installed w/ Dimarzios (actually great pups, but thought I would possibly try something else). I might have to join the Kelly lovefest threads, now! Aram, I will consider you if I do decide to part with the guitar at any point.

Mike...any thoughts on how the Rocketfires differ and what are the problems (and positives) of the Novaks? Is it because of the "vintage" tone that you need to work with the pedals...

15. aram

aram Member

I have first dibs if you ever want to sell it!!!!
    :)

yes join the kelly love fest.

I want to see pics!!!!

I recently changed the pickups on my Kelly Tele to Don Mares.

It was a tough move, because the Bridge PUP was owned by Robert Quine. He handwaxed it himself.

But the neck pickup was missing something.

After swapping them both out with Mares, the guitar is at a whole new level.