strat pups positions ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Texasbloos, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Texasbloos

Texasbloos Member

Hi Guys just read a review on Harmoney Central, about a guy who has had his Voodoo ST60 's pups installed. with the highest/strongest ohms pup in the neck position, i always thought that pup went in at the bridge. because the strings at the bridge vibrate less than at the neck,so you need a stronger pup in that position. is this a new trend? or have i got it wrong all this time. any idea guys Ex.Neck=6.7ohms>> Middle=6.2ohms>>Bridge=5.7ohms or is it Neck= 5.7ohms>>Middle 6.2ohms>>Bridge 6.7.ohms
    cheers ray

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Martian

Martian Member

I agree with your postulation and the latter of your examples. However, there are many players who prefer the neck pickup as their "go to" pickup for soloing or simply want a "deep" rhythm which is why they want a "beefier" pickup at the neck position.

Another point which should be noted is the fact that the DC resistance of a pickup is not the absolute indicator of the overall output/tone of a pickup. Granted, it is a popular indicator and oftentimes, it can be accurate. However, there are several other other factors which will ultimately determine this where the DC resistance (per popular understanding) would be inaccurate. A random example is a DiMarzio HS-2. This pickup has a DC resistance of (approx.) 14.67K ohms yet, it is audibly weaker than a 'standard' Strat pickup.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you're not crazy, the strongest pickup goes at the bridge if you want all three pickups to sound good with the same amp setting.

and like he said, ohms will only really count with otherwise identical pickups.

4. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Some people do like a little higher ohm pup in the neck on a Strat.
    I think some old Strats by accident or design were like that and in chasing the vintage goodness some winders do it that way.

Personally I kind of like it that way. I sometimes find the neck pup on some Strats to be too bright. Not thin but bright.

5. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Rolph prefers to match strat set like this, great for blues IMO but not for me ;)

6. Texasbloos

Texasbloos Member

hey guys thanx for the replys so maybe its down to choice and experiment and maybe not get stuck in a trend and try things for yourself so go try and see what occurs!!!!
    never were tight pants!!!
    prefer suspender belt and stockings myself!!! lol

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you want a fatter neck sound, get another, fatter neck pickup. sticking the thinner one in the bridge is just silly.

8. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I very rarely use the bridge pups on my Strats. I live in the neck and neck/middle and some things middle. A rare song or two I might use the middle/bridge.

So, I would say it would depend on how much you use the positions and how you use them.

IMO having a tone control for the bridge is most important if you use the bridge on a Strat. And a base plate is not a bad idea.

It also depends on how your heights are set on the pups.

Having a slightly or moderately higher ohm reading in the neck and then weaker in the middle AND then a high/higher in the bridge has worked for me.

The readings for your particular pups would discourage me from using that particular set that way though. 5.7k in the bridge with the other pups might be a stretch.

9. Texasbloos

Texasbloos Member

Hi Guys Big Thanx to all that replyed think i might get a beefier VooDoo pup for the neck pos,and leave mid and bridge as is.
    cheers to all ray