Strat P'ups that chime and howl???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1-Take-Wonder, Dec 23, 2005.

1. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Does anyone know of a strat pickup that can both chime, jangle and twang like Holly or Marvin and howl like Jimi, SRV, etc...

I've been through Fender's stock reissues, a set of Texas Specials, Van Zandt Rock/Blues/Blues, and finally tried a set of the GFS Texas hot single coils (because it was a cheap experiment)

Predictably, the stock pups had nice twang and all the hotter after markets can howl but just dont clean up/brighten up nice enough to do twangy country/rock etc..

Am I asking one guitar to do too much? Should I just give up and have a country/rock Strat and a blues Strat? (my wife won't like that answer BTW!)

2. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

For chime and growl, I really like the Rio Grande Halfbreeds. Sort of midway between a 50s pickup, and a Strat-sized P90. Chimes nicely in my mn strat, but beefs-up when I open it up. Just a suggestion.

-db

3. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

This one's EASY: G&L MFD pickups in the S-500 and ASAT Classic. Well, they might have a little more growl than chime, but they have a very nice classic tone. After all, they were created by Leo himself!

4. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Suhr V60lps have become my personal choice.I've got a set in a parts guitar and they sound great.I've been a Fralin pickup guy for at least ten years,but not anymore.You can get them from Acme Guitarworks.

5. muddy

muddy Member

wcr single coils. end of story. well, the suhr's are great too, but the wcr's have better chime & jangle.

ml

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Stock pickups, for chime, fuzz-face or equivalent clone for the howl. Once the top end is gone (overwound pickups) it's hard to get that splashy chimey thing back.

7. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

Though not available yet,the EJ signature strat pickups do a great job at just that. He did mention earlier that fender was going to release them as a replacement set. They probably won't don it until the sales slow down on the strat though. They are particularly great, at least for me. They jangle great, also beef up real nice. They are about the most balanced set I have ever had. Though I haven't tried the suhr's. I have had some fralin's and I really like them too. I am sure fralin would custom wind you something to meet the criteria.

8. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

Antiquity II's by Seymour Duncan.

that's the brand I like, but in truth the Alnico 5 magnets are really where the magic is...

9. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I've tried just about Every Single Coil Strat Pickup ever Made! I've done countless Tests and comparisons and Spent Countless thousands of $$$

For Classic Strat Chime and Clarity I like the Fralin Vintage Hot
    For Balls out SRV I Like the Fralin Steel Pole 43
    For all around good Classic Strat tone I like the Van Zandt - Vintage Plus
    Harmonic Design also Makes some great sounding Strat Pickups Especially the 54 Specials

10. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

There is no reason that a strat can't do both. Check out Jim Rolph's pickups. You know Jimi had no trouble going from chimey (Little Wing) to scream (Voodoo Chile) with a stock set of Fender pu's.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Just last week, I installed the Clapton electronics (boost and TBX tone control) in my project strat that has Kinman AVn Blues. It took a few hours of fooling around to dial it in, but I'm really pleased with its capability. I leave the boost on ~4, halfway towards treb for clean chime and 1/3 way into bass (with lead pedal/channel tone a bit more trebly than usual) for lead tones. More boost as needed, but not much is.

Just another choice.........

jon

12. hogy

hogy Member

Note that "Holly or Marvin, [...] Jimi, SRV" had stock pickups in whatever Strat they happened to be playing.

Which tells you that you are looking at the wrong side of the equation.

Hogy

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

My favorites are the dimarzio virtual vintage. 2.1 in the neck and middle, virtual 2 neck in the bridge. These twang and howl and get everything from Albert Lee to Jimi to SRV to Robben and with no noise.

My search is over. I compared them to my other strat with fender SCN pickups and there's no comparison. The SCN's don't sound anything like a strat by comparison (although they do sound very good in their own right)

Jaz

14. Babaji

Babaji Member

+1 for JM Rolph. His 1956 Strat pickups are !!!!!!!
    Bill

15. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Thx for all the feedback...

I'm starting to lean this way...and noting the previous post that mentioned the fuzzface for Hendrix and also the TS for SRV.

Stevie's pickups were rewound though I believe, and I think they were rewound hotter??? and he had less brightness than Hendrix by my ears...the search continues, I'm still thinking I'm going to end up with two guitars to solve it...:rolleyes:

16. thintele

thintele Member

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

There are a lot of good Strat pickups out there. The Fender 54s are inexpensive and versatile in a vintage sort of way. The Surfers are nice too.

As for the stock thing, it's true, but the forumlas for what is 'stock' has changed, kind of like the engine in the 64 Impala vs. the engine in the 2005 Impala. So all the pickup makers try to recreate the sound of the stock pickups in the old guitars.

18. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Ill be throwing a set of Chubtone '67 reverse stagger pickups into my JV Strat pretty soon. From all accounts, should fit the bill you're describing.

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

He had less brightness because he played through fender and not marshall amps. Texas specials are nice but his tone was pure, clean strat tone to my ears - Not overwound, muddy midrange...

20. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Supporting Member

Agreed. SRV's larger-than-life tone came from his use of heavy strings (.013 on top) and his big right hand attack.

I find this whole thread rather amusing because I find terms like "howl" (along with others like "sing", "scream", "cry") to be descriptive more of emotions conveyed by the guitar rather than sounds themselves. Your gear alone can't make an electric guitar howl, only you can! (And it takes a lot of practice to get to the point where you can express a wide range of emotions to an audience. The right gear certainly helps, but it won't do it for you.)

But getting back to tones themselves... ANY strat pickup that sounds good clean can be used to make howling sounds, IF some creative use of signal processing (boost, EQ, overdrive, fuzz, or some combination of these) is used. Obviously, the hotter the pickup, the easier it will be to get into saturated sustain territory, but there is always a tradeoff with your clean tone. A lot of players choose to keep their pickups more in the vintage output range and do whatever is necessary, pedal and/or ampwise, to boost the snot out of that clean signal in order to obtain lead tones they desire.

To summarize... SRV made excellent use of his tubescreamer and fuzzface pedals, as well as his multi-amp setup to get big. beefy, fat, beautiful strat tones. But the howling thing, man, that came straight from his soul.