Strat 'quack' emphasis

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Strange question, is the 'quack' in pos 2 & 4 more affected by the middle pickup being lower or higher?
    Should the middle pickup be lower than the other two for a better quack is what I'm really asking.

Thanks,
    Buck

2. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

Low output pickups (under 5,9K) = better quack

3. hacker

hacker Member

lower down in the pickguard, if that's what you mean.

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

IME some pickups contain the quack gene, and produce more than others; it does not matter too much how you set them.

5. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

and some quackers duck under the radar...

Seriously, is there any relationship to the type of magnet? Alnico II? Alnico V?

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Pickup height has a little to do with it, but definitely the lower output pickups have the most influence. Less midrange gives you more quack when combining pickups. As far as magnet type, I haven't directly compared pickups of the same output with different magnet types. I have 3 sets of Lollars, one with A5, two with A2 magnets and the A2's definitely have more quack, but they are also lower output than the A5 Blackface set.

7. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Trick, turn the guitar's volume down and you'll start hearing more quack assuming you have a bleed circuit installed that is. I have my pickups set pretty much the same height, expect the neck which is slightly lower. I run Fralin Vintage so they are well balanced to begin with. I get my best quack running around 6/7 on the volume with my gain stage red on bright, however amp and effects are very volume responsive.

Oh and I am now using a 300K CTS volume pot. I kind of think it helps too, although my pot I replaced was shot. :D

And yes, Fralins are quack approved pups. :)

8. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

+1

also I use a compressor (AM bicomp) to help the inbetween positions shine !