Strat question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jay66, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jay66

jay66 Member

I was wondering what some of you fender guys think of the Fender American deluxe strat QMT HSS ? I really like the look of the tobacco burst one. Its truly a beauty. I like the humbucker in the bridge because the strat I had years ago I never used the bridge pickup anyway too much treble for me. I'm not compleatly sold on the noiseless pickups though.:dude

2. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Not a damn thing wrong with the SCN pickups and as far as the strat goes I think your'e there and just need a gentle nudge:AOK

Please post pics of your new deluxe when you bring it home.:D

3. dallas

dallas Member

Nice axes! I'll take 2.

4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Great guitar! I almost bought one a few months ago, but ended up going with the anniversary instead.

5. jay66

jay66 Member

How would you compare the noiseless pickups to humbuckers for noise canceling?

Same

Better

Worse

6. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Same/as good and they still have that vintagey strat tone. A lot depends of course on your amp, amp settings, etc.

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

That's an excellent choice...I was looking at that exact model and color a few months ago. Then I happened upon a G&L Invader custom (almost identical setup, but with hardtail and SD TB-4 HB in bridge) on Ebay...

$1,400 seems a little stiff for a Fender, but you can get one for about a grand used. I looked for a while, couldn't find one used.

I think the S1 switching is a good idea, with some usable sounds. Great sounding and versatile guitar.

8. musicmind

musicmind Member

Hiya Jay

I'm in the market for the american Deluxe with HSS config and S1 switch.
    I wanted a maple neck and a more traditional strat look, so didnt really warm up the the QMT models, but I think both are pretty similar in quality and sound versatility.

Some folks have complained that the SCN's dont sound great with distortion and high gain, but I'm not sure what type of sound they were going for.

Some say the QMT model has "hotter" SCN pickups than on the American Deluxe, maybe the former is preferable for rock, but the Fender site doesnt make a distinction between the two models pickups. :confused:

Great guitars I think, probably the most versatile of the Fender range from what I have tried so far.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It's a fantastic instrument!

I picked one up on fleabay listed as being in unplayed condition for $1,100 including shipping. The plastic was still on the pickup and not a mark was on it. It covers virtally all styles from jazz to shred.

The neck is great, and I love the ebony fretboard, warmer tone than maple, but smoother surface than rosewood; ideal for string bending. The neck's satin finish means that your hand doesn't hang up on it, even during the 100 degree -98% humidity weather that we just had in Philly.

Most people don't realize this, but it has "Hot SCNs" not SCNs. I also have an American Deluxe 50th Anniversary, so I've been able to compare them back-to-back at length. I greatly prefer the Hot SCNs. They don't "sound high output", just more weight when played clean, and they love gain, unlike the SCNs.

The SCNs can sound just slightly more "vintage"/delecate when played clean, but only slightly, but the SCNs don't have the authority of the Hot SCN's. The SCNs and Hot SCNs are actually quieter than humbuckers and are even a little higher output than some.

It stays in tune amazingly well. I have mixed emotions about the LSR nut for aesthetic reasons, but it works as claimed. Tuning is rock solid. This is a truly versitile workhorse.

I really love this guitar and think that it's the best "superstrat" I have ever played. If you find one that you like, don't hesitate to give it a shot. I couldn't be happier with it, and I'm a diehard traditionalist who plays through a BFSR with no more than one pedal at a time (I'm currently really digging the Tweedy). I never thought I'd be excided about a Deluxe Strat.

Who knew?

stratzrus

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011