• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strat question

Jonathan31

I’m mostly just a bedroom player but I have been hearing people say that Strats don’t cut through the mix very well compared to Gibsons or other HB guitars. Even Bukovac said that in one of his vids. Just out of curiosity, is this true?

Yamaha 350

I’m mostly just a bedroom player but I have been hearing people say that Strats don’t cut through the mix very well compared to Gibsons or other HB guitars. Even Bukovac said that in one of his vids. Just out of curiosity, is this true?
As long as you adjust your amplifier and the controls on you guitar you will do just fine. And who is Even Bukovac?

Furrymonki

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, somebody needs to tell this to Jeff Beck!!!

(Just joking)

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Don’t believe everything you hear. I have played live with both and both can cut really well or get lost in the mid depending on how you eq and set up your rig.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
i've been playing strats for years and i think yeah there is something to it.... a strat's inherent voice tends to work best either in a power trio type context where it doesn't have to compete with other guitars, or as more of an accompaniment instrument, relegated more to the back of the mix. this is single coil strats of course. Think about all the famous strat sounds that we all love - Jimi, Rory, Jeff Beck, SRV, EJ, Trower, Buddy Guy, GIlmour.... they tend to be in more sparse mixes where they aren't fighting another guitar.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Any guitar can be EQ'd and lowered in volume so it doesn't cut through.

Conversely, any guitar with any pickups can be made to overpower anything else.

Gclef

Strats not cutting through?

That's funny.

It's the treble content that actually cuts through.

Too much mids and bass is a recipe for getting lost in the mix.

The only guitar that cuts through more than a strat is a tele.

rwijaya

everyone knows strat is reserved only for people that play in the bedroom.

for live playing, people tend to play real guitar that won't get lost in the mix.

the last person attempting to play strat on stage is Hendrix, just look at what happens to him.

/s

Last edited:

rwijaya

jokes aside, . . . . the answer is no.

markmann

I use both and I think it's easier to zero in on frequencies that cut easier with a Strat. Not always the case but the thickness of humbuckers can get lost in a mix. Raise you volume and so does everyone else.

Guppie

A strat is inherently more scooped than an LP type, assuming they have vintage style pickups. Especially on the neck pickup. However, all the frequencies are there and with the right approach/gear you can get a strat to do (almost) anything. It's far more difficult to get a Les Paul to sit back in the mix. For rhythm guitar I think the strat is a better instrument. It leaves room for other instruments and fills the mix out nicely.

Trending Topics