Strat Review and Pics.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by digthosetubes, May 11, 2008.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Strat Review and Pics

Bought this three-piece alder American Deluxe Strat in 2007. Only other Strat experience has been a light blue '92 Mex model. Years of battling hum from those loud ceramic pickups made me a good candidate for this newer guitar's noiseless SNC pups. I believe Bill Lawrence designed them. Neck unit sounds full, round, ringing. I appreciate all five switch positions. The five additional fat tones work well with amp or pedal overdrive. These tones are kinda new for Fender, but I think they stand well on their own. The Deluxe is no vintage Strat but still quite a good addition to the lineup.

The neck, fretwork, fit, and finish are very good. Played unplugged, the guitar rings beautifully and vibrates nicely in hand. Body curves are extra curvy -- something that got lost there for awhile on Strats. (Fender has made a point to return to the nice curves, according to “The Stratocaster Chronicles, Celebrating Fifty Years of the Fender Strat,” by Tom Wheeler).

It’s simple to change strings with the locking tuners. And strings hold pitch even after weeks in the case. That's where this guitar sat when I got my Nocasters in January. For vintage Fender tone, I haven’t found a custom shop Strat I like as much as the Nocasters. But for something modern, I like this Deluxe Strat. Not a guitar I expect to see on stage -- because of the cool factor -- but a comfortable, versatile guitar at a good price. I played this Deluxe just about every day for well more than a year, and I purchased four good tube amps using that guitar to audition them. The guitar continues to sound good with all four of those amps -- ‘66 Ampeg Gemini II, Bogner Duende, ‘68 Fender Princeton Reverb, and Koch Studiotone. I'll try to post a sound clip.

[​IMG]

2. digthosetubes

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Very nice and great clip.

4. slo100

slo100 Member

I like the photo collage! Which amp was used for the clip?

I had an early 90's Strat Plus with those tuners, a Floyd Rose designed non-locking vibrato, and Lace Sensors. I suppose this is the latest incarnation of a modernized stratocaster. Looks great and sounds great.

Bret

5. digthosetubes

Thanks, Bret.

The Amp used for the clip was a Bogner Duende, and I used the line out, which the amp has. No mike. I gotta try that sometime.

What happened to that Strat you mentioned, and did you get something you like better to replace it?

6. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Supporting Member

Nice review and I agree with all things mentioned. I've got the same model with the HSS configuration on hold. So easy to play, super versatile, and very nice looking to boot. I really love how the cutaway heel improves the upper fret access, it was way easier to play up high on the neck than on the American Std. I was also trying out. I do see why the traditional crowd wouldn't care for the SCN tone, but I was looking for a more modern Strat tone and the Deluxe has it in spades.

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Very Cool! Congratulations...

8. slo100

slo100 Member

Here is a link to a writeup on the strat plus deluxe similar to mine:
    http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/models/deluxestratplus.html

It did not stay with me long though it was a very nice guitar. This was 10+ years ago and I can't recall where it went or what replaced it.

The Duende sounds great. I spent about an hour with a used Shiva a while back and still have an eye on selling/trading my Boogie for a Bogner combo.

I must say, you do a guitar review the right way with a nice narrative, a crisp photo-set, and an audio clip!

Bret

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

10. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Welcome to the club. I've got an American Deluxe in Candy Tangerine with a brown shell pick guard and it's a great guitar. I love the color combo and the SNC pickups sound fantastic! I don't really use the S1 switching much but it's nice to have the extra tones on tap. Sounds, looks and plays great. It used to be my #1 until I got my Gretsch 6128TVP Power Jet. Here's a couple of photos of my American Deluxe and an American Standard in LPB (also a fine guitar).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. digthosetubes

Thank you for the welcome. Your guitars are nice looking.
    I'm posting one of the shots out of that montage at a size where you can see a little more of the detail that is in the photo. I thought Fender did a good job with the fit and finish. I have been playing the Nocaster so much that when I go back to this guitar, I think about perhaps putting 10s on. But it is fun nonetheless to be able to bend the 9s around so easily. Got any ideas how 10s might work on this guitar?
    [​IMG]

12. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

im putting 11's on mine this week...want me to let you know how those go?

13. digthosetubes

Yes, Please. Whatcha got on there now?
    I've been with the 9s and frankly never played with 10s until recently.
    11s would be too much of a jump I think, so I'm most interested in learning what 10s would do. I'm stingy with string changing (CHEAP and LAZY) and have a small inventory of 9s that I really should use up.

14. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I've got the stock gauge on there...9's....I'm very cheap with string changes, too. I've had the guitar for a real long time and have never had it set up until now. I've wanted to try bigger strings so I thought as I'm getting it set up I would try different strings, too. Prior to this, I only changed the strings twice, and I've had it for well over a year. lol I'm going to make myself like the bigger strings because I don't want to pay to get it setup again for a different gauge.

15. stratoquack

stratoquack Member

I was lucky enough to come up on a used American Deluxe last year at GC. Got a great deal on a great guitar. Mine's sunburst w/mint pickguard. The only time I use the S-1 switching is on the bridge pickup. When I push the switch in, it really fattens up that position.
    Nice review!
    Bill

16. oscar100

oscar100 Member

v nice looking gtr that!!!