Strat saddle question...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edward, Apr 15, 2008.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

For you experts, Strato-historians, or those who just know this kind of stuff:

I was looking through that long thread here with the gazillion Strat pics and I came across that original '57:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=265158&page=26

And my question is regarding the saddles, the ones that looked like they were bent from out of a single strip of metal: are these really how that era Strats came? I have this type of saddle on my "new" '99 MIM (and it, too, has the "Fender" stamped on them like this 57) but dismissed it as a base cost-cutting measure since all other strat saddles I've seen were "solid" in some respect.
    :jo

So was this the "original" shape of the saddle? And if so, why did Leo go to solid ones. And why is nearly every after-market saddle today likewise "solid"? Someone got the juice on this "original" saddle and its pros/cons? Looking forward to the education!!

Edward

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

That was the original shape. That type of saddle was retained for some time after Leo Fender sold his interest in the company.

Different saddle types and materials will impart some change to the sound. One disadvantage to the vintage style of saddle is that there aren't many screw threads to anchor the height adjustment screws. The solid saddles eliminate that problem.

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, and it makes sense. But that, then, begs the question: were these orig saddles stripping out? I s"suppose" they must have been, or why else teh change, no?

Which brings me to another question, why would Fender "remake" this type of saddle for the "lowly" MIM, especially if it caused problems and considering there were already modern saddles in existence?

Edward

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've never seen a vintage saddle strip out but I have seen them rust to the point where the screws can no longer move or the screws are so loose that, when a string breaks, they flop around and lose their adjustment.

Yup, modern solid saddles are probably technically "better" but they impart their own tone...and we guitar players tend to be a conservative bunch when it comes to tone and will usually prefer vintage tone over "better" ;).

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Truer words have seldom been written, Vaughn.

Edward, check out this link to D'Pergo Guitars - very high end Strat style guitars, built to sound 'classic'.

http://www.dpergoguitars.com/

Click on "The Story", then go to page 3 - the upper right pic with those flat metal things with a slot cut in them are in fact old Fender style saddles, made in the same way Fender used to make 'em. They're not shaped into a saddle yet, just flat.

Take a look.

Dana O.

6. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hi Dana,

Thanks for that link ...wow! Some of that wood gave me ...well, won't go there.

Side note question if I may: have you ever tried a callaham saddle set or whole bridge in a strat? It seems like their saddles are made in like fashion. Thoughts?

Edward

7. DC1

DC1 Member

I have tried almost every strat saddle and bridge on the market, and the stamped saddles just sound better to my ears.

The Callaham are some of the best, but my very favorite are these:

http://www.kts-america.com/

They sound fabulous IMO.

DC

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

+1
    I tried MIM cast zinc and Hipshot solid stainless block types in my Robert Cray bur went back to the stock bent metal because they sound best in that guitar.

9. edward

edward Supporting Member

OK, got it. Thanks for the feedback guys ...appreciate it!!

Edward