Strat saddle size question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kenny Blue, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

Ok... this is possibly a dumb question to ask but here goes...

There would seem to be such a small difference in size between the 2 1/8" and the 2 1/16" vintage Strat saddle sizes.

Can a set of 2 1/8" Strat vintage saddles be put on a Strat bridge that takes 2 1/16" saddles ?

The problem is that some bridges take 2 1/16" saddles but companies such as Raw Vintage and Highwood ( which are the two that I am interested in getting replacement saddles from ) only makes saddles in 2 1/8" or larger 2 7/32" sizes (and NOT in a 2 1/16" size).

Has anyone done this ... used replacement 2 1/16" vintage saddles on their Strat which has a bridge that was made for 2 1/8" ?

The bridge that I am specifically referring to doing this with is the Super Vee Bladerunner by the way.

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

thjat would be 10.8mm saddles where there should be 10.4mm. Anything is possible but they will not line up straight unless you shave the edge of each saddle a bit.

3. Kenny Blue

Oh ... that's an idea.

How would one do that ? Using a Dremel ? You mentioned shaving the edge ( the sides of each saddle I presume ) " a bit".
    Sounds simple... is it, in reality, harder than it seems to actually do that and have them turn out good ?

4. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Tape a few pc`s of sandpaper onto a flat work surface; paper should be graduated sizes.

If you'very seen Erliwine's nut making videos, it would be similar to that. If not, I imagine you could find them on Stewart McDonald'so website.

Dremel might be too much, too fast, and hard to control. You don't need to take off much.

5. Kenny Blue

I'll check out the Stew Mac site.

I wouldn't have thought of using sand paper. I didn't realize that sand paper would be very effective with steel.

Is there any concern when doing this the plating is being sanded off of the sides (edges) of each of the saddles ?

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What kind of saddle are you trying to get to? solid? Vintage style? etc... I've found that some specific model Squier saddles work well with 2 1/16 spacing...

7. Kenny Blue

I am interested in the Raw Vintage saddles and also the Highwood Contoured Vintage Saddles for Strats. Neither company makes a saddle specifically for the 2 1/16" string spacing. But they do make them for a 2 1/8" spacing.

Callaham does make vintage style saddles for 2 1/16". But I am also interested in the other two.

8. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

It takes lots of time and patience. Did it once....once.