Strat set-up question....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sweetpea, Jan 15, 2006.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I will be receiving a '62 reissue that has had a professional set-up per the seller. The guitar also has had the radius changed from 7.5 to 12. The seller states that the guitar is currently set-up with 11-50 gauge strings and that the bridge is resting against the body with all five springs in place. He also went on to say that the action is per fender specs and that all of the work is top notch.
    I personally like the bridge to float and prefer 10-46 strings per my playing style as I use the bar often. Do you think that if I change the strings to 10-46 and only use three of the tremelo springs, can I avoid adjusting the truss rod? And how would you go about getting the guitar ready for 10-46 with a floating bridge:NUTS ?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

There's a really good thread somewhere on the gear page about this but since I have time to waste before I go to work...

I wouldn't mess with it for a the day or so till it get used to your area then I would put on your new strings and check the neck relief.

Normally when you go to a smaller gauge your going to have to add a little relief but since it may be from a much different climate it could go either way.

After that's done I would measure the height of the string at the 12 fret and write them down, remove the back plate and take off two of the springs, and retune.

Place the backplate under the back edge of the trem you may have to tighten loosen the two screw on the spring claw till the is plate is wedged under the bridge and retune.

Since you just raised the height of all the saddles you will have to adjust the hight on each string and then after that check the intonation then check the height and intonation a second time while at the same time tuning between every change you make.

After you get that all finallized you can remove the backplate from under the trem, all the strings will be slightly sharp so you will have to loosen both spring claw screws till the string are in tune.

After that you can adjust the pickup to your taste, and re-install the back plate and your guitar will be good to go.

For the general info, fender's setup specs, and how to check relief I would check out fender setup guide; http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

3. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

I would think your still going to have to do some sort of truss tweak when you set it up for tens regardless of the trem spring tension. It'll probably bow back a bit on you but you'll just have to get the strings you want on it and go to the 3 spring trem (floating) and let it settle a bit and then see where it's at. Going from 11's with the bridge flat to the body to 10's with a floating bridge creates a pretty drastic difference in tension. Truss tweaks aren't a big deal really...

Hows that? Clear as mud?

Best

Shawn

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The guitar was set up (adjusted) to play with 11s. There is a better than 90% certainty that you will see a need to adjust the bow of the neck when changing strings to a different gauge.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I appreciate the information. Sounds like I will be adjusting the truss rod just a bit when going to a lower guage string(s). I can't wait to get this guitar. I have a set of SuhrV60LP's along with a acme modern wiring kit to also install.
    :p

6. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

the neck will most likely back bow a bit since it won't see the same tension from the 10-46 set.

sounds like your gonna have to do a whole new setup since you want the trem to float.

the fender way is to have the bottom of the back edge of the trem bridge plate to sit aprox 3/32 off the face. stick a wood block between the trem block and teh cavity wall - use this instead of springs to hold the bridge in place as you do your adjustments (truss, height, intonation, )

fenders 10 step set up in the guitar player repair guide is the way to go.

7. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

Yeah, you are probably gonna have to do a truss rod adjustment. The worst part is you are going to have to remove the neck from the pocket to adjust it. Do so very cautiously, it is so easy to chip the finish in the neck pocet area. If it has the american vintage pickups with the beveled magnets, give them a shot before you change the pickups out. Some of them are really killer. I had a 62 that had killer pickups and sounded great. I also had a 57 that the pickups weren't nearly as good so you never know. Sometimes magic chemistry happens.