Strat set-up question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Vibrolucky, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

I recently acquired an unbelievable 2000 Model 60' HEAVY Relic Strat....

Plays great....I took off the neck to tighten the truss rod a bit to straighten the neck out and now the High E string is a little to close to the edge of the fretboard . When I bend the note it falls off the fretboard.

I re-adjusted the neck but I can't move it anymore as the neck pocket is tight.

Also noticed the neck screws are a little bent....Any suggestions?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Loosen the screws just a tad, and yank the neck sideways with guitar held flat on your lap in whatever direction properly orients the strings over the fingerboard.Retighten screws. This is known in the trade as the "Fender neck adjustment" often performed without bothering to mess with the neck screws.

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had the same problem. Resetting the neck solved it. There are also offset replacement saddles which I think you can install on the high E to bring it in a little more.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I've done the same thing a number of times. Press down on the left side horn with one hand, tighten the neck screws with the other.

No problem if the strings are too close on the low E side, within reason, as very few of us do bends on the low E string.

5. uOpt

uOpt Member

Together with the bent screws this point to the screw holes in body or neck being in the wrong position.

The best thing to do if just jerking is around doesn't help is fill the holes in the neck and re-drilling it.