Strat Single Coil that sounds like a PAF? Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarplayaman, Jan 4, 2008.

1. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Looking to remove an ice-picky bridge strat pickup. The guitar is routed for three single coils and want to retain the vintage look. Is there a single coil that can really cover the PAF or slightly hotter territory?

I kind of know what's out there. Just not sure if any of the possibilities can get it done. I'm looking to bounce from Hendrix/SRV style neck tones...then kick in the bridge pickup to cover my eighties stuff.

Opinions?:YinYang

2. waveman

waveman Member

Seymour Duncan SSL-6 gets a nice thick tone. Also, the Lil' 59 is a great option, but depending on what your other pickups are, Position 2 may not sound exactly right, and sometimes you get that funky out of phase thing going on.

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I'm throwing this in a stock classic 60's strat. I don't mind the stock pickups...but the bridge has got to go.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Chat w/ DiMarzio - they have great customer service and some suitable offerings. Plus, they offer an exchange policy.
    Something like their Virtual Vintage Solo or Solo Pro retains the vintage 'look' but is noiseless and very much in the P90/PAF output and timbre range.

5. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

thanks guys for the input!

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah I would look at the Dimarzio's VV hot or solo as well. The cruisers might also a good choice.

7. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Duncan 1/4 lb. if it HAS to be a single coil (sounds more ,like a p-90 I guess.
    Otherwise Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge and 'lil '59 in the neck. The 'lil '59 is pretty weak and the JB Jr. in the bridge position sounds more like an overwound PAF then the standard JB Jr.

Throw a Duncan stacked vintage/classic (?) strat p/up in the middle and you have quite a setup--it's what I used before I switched to Barden's.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

tom anderson ,call and ask

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Most strats don't have a tone control on the bridge, wire one of the tone controls to the neck/middle and the other to the bridge. Roll that thing back to 5-6 and that will help with the ice picks a bunch. 0 dollars.

11. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

None of those are single coils (they are stacked humbuckers in a single-coil sized package). However, I believe all of them are splittable so what I'd do is go for one of them (the 59 is my favorite), but install a push-pull tone pot that splits whatever stacked humbucker(s) you end up with. That way you can get the hotter, higher output when you want it from the stacked humbucker, but split it when you want the thinner single coil tone.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I played a new Fender Vintage Hot Rod '57 Stratocaster in the store.
    Comes w/ the Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge. Great sounding bridge p/up.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

14. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I think there may be a Lace Sensor pickup that covers that area.

15. therealting

therealting Member

+1. Try this first, it really helps.

16. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

The Duncan 1/4 lb. I mentioned above IS a single coil:

"Quarter Pound Flat™ SSL-4
    ...application
    High output true single-coil. Recommended for blues, classic rock, garage, heavy rock, classic metal and nu-metal.
    description
    More than twice the power of a traditional single-coil. The result is a fat, punchy sound; similar to a P-90. It's clean at lower volumes and screamin' when cranked. The hand polished, quarter-inch diameter magnets are matched with a powerful coil winding to deliver great sustain, making this one of our most popular single-coil pickups. Does not use a cover..."

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/progressive/quarter_pound_f/

"Duncan 1/4 lb. if it HAS to be a single coil (sounds more ,like a p-90 I guess.
    Otherwise Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge and 'lil '59 in the neck. The 'lil '59 is pretty weak and the JB Jr. in the bridge position sounds more like an overwound PAF then the standard JB Jr.

Throw a Duncan stacked vintage/classic (?) strat p/up in the middle and you have quite a setup--it's what I used before I switched to Barden's."

17. FleaRadical

FleaRadical Member

I have used the Duncan Lil 59 and it's pretty good. However I prefer having a switchable option for routing the bridge in series with either the middle or neck pickup to form a humbucker. I have found it works better for lower output single coils. Higher output pickups can get muddy.

18. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I have a set of Kinman AvnBlues, and the bridge pup is very powerful. Plus it's wired up with the K7 Pickup system where you can crank in the neck with the bridge if you want. Honestly the bridge pup drives so nice I hardly ever use this feature. I think these Kinmans rival my EMG SA's for power. These aint cheap, but they're dead quiet on a (wired) stage, and they really cut thru the mix. They don't quack like a set of vintage SC's but they're close.

19. vmcars

vmcars Member

Yup try a GHS double blade pickup, not a single coil but a stavked double
    they are like a joe bardon.

20. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Seriously, wire the bridge pickup to the tone controll, also try pure nickel strings. There are times when bright is good and you may like the option. But, if not, it is a great idea to put the bridge pickup on a tone controll.