Strat sluts gather around

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack The Riffer, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Duncan Alnico II pro :RoCkIn

I LOVE Fender CS 69's, Fat 50's, 54's & Antiquities and now have a raging boner for the Alnico II.

Stopped by a local git store today just to kick tires and the manager handed me his CS 50-something to see if I liked the neck p/u (the Alnico)

Ooofa! Best I can describe is like a PAF tone but stratty. How could I not buy one? Installed it in my JV strat (neck p/u) and am pretty darn pleased. Very well made too, has the cloth covered wires not those thin ****** ones that most SD's have.

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Ehh, you Samoa?

M.E.

3. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I have SD Alnico II Pro's in my Strat and love them. I wouldn't use anything else. Classic Strat tone without the top end brittleness/ice pickiness.

4. Mark C

Mark C Member

I've got them in the bridge position of both of my strats. Agree with the above, they sound like vintage strat pickups minus the ice-pick.

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Great pickups. Awesome tone! :AOK

Guitar Player had nice things to say about them too.

I like them a lot; but I like my Duncan Antiquities just a little bit more. :Devil

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I've had an Alnico II Pro in the middle position of my '68 Strat for about 7 years now. I like it a lot.

Stormin!

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I've had Duncan Alnico Pro II's in my FrankenStrat ('63 body, SRV neck with sperzels, LR Baggs Bridge-X and Control-X piezo set up) for a few years now. They're not at all powerful, but they have a certain smokey glassiness (how's that for a non-descriptor?) that I love.

jb

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I had some in my 1999 '62 RI and that guitar screamed, I'm considering putting them in my '62 RI Thin Skin. They do sound really nice!

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I got a second ash bodied Strat and put Fat 50s into it a couple of years ago and now don't hardly ever play my 1st Strat which is also Ash bodied with the stock pups. The icepick tone just isn't as pleasing to my ears. How do the Alnico II pups compare to Fat 50s? I'd mainly want something with great tone but not the same as what I already have in the Fat50s Strat.

Thanks, Jim

10. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Oddly enough the Alnico II's sound fatter than the Fat 50's. I have set in one of my strats (really like them) and you definately won't be duplicating tone.

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Fatter (frequency range occupied), but not more powerful. Go figure..

jb

12. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

I have a pair of those that I put in a (snicker) '88 HM Strat. I do recall that they sounded drastically better than the stock pickups in a standard American strat of the same era. I should really dig that sucker out of the closet and see how it sounds...