Strat style guitars with lots of switches and knobs!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RvChevron, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Not for the minimalists or simple minded.

Show and/or tell!

2. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

TexMex Strat (Classic Stack neck, TexMex, middle, Lil '59 bridge) Master Volume is push/pull coil cut for neck, Master TBX Tone control (.047µF cap), third knob is a "Spin-a-Split" control for the Lil' 59 bridge). Fist switch is a middle p/u phase reversal switch, the second one is "on/off" for the neck pickup.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Carvin (DC135T) was my attempt at getting as much tonal options as I could in a passive electronic equipped guitar. It has an old "oval" Duncan Hot Rails (neck), Carvin S60 middle, Duncan CustomCustom bridge. Master Volume is 500k push/pull tone cap selector (.047µF/.0068µF) dark roll off or nice, round "middy" tone.

The 500k/1meg dual pot is the tone pot (top) and larger lower knob ring is a bass roll of pot (.0047µF) (the idea was to seperate the tone and bass roll off functions of a "modified" TBX control. The regular tone control works fine. The bass roll off taper still needs some tweaking as most of the roll off happens in the first 10% of the pot. I don't remember where I ordered that pot from.

The third knob is a Rothstein Guitars [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RG500D Custom Taper "Orange" Midrange Shaper with Center Detent [/FONT](from the website). Cuts or adds mids to the sound. Works pretty good, but better in single coil mode.

The 4th pot is a 3 meg volume pot for the Fishman Powerbridge (need to go back and repair that connection.

The switches are neck p/u HB/off/SC, middle on/off, bridge HB/off/SC, middle phase reversal.

Most interesting tone: "Pseudo Dan Electro Choral Sitar"
    Middle p/u (out of phase) and Bridge p/u (single coil)
    Tone cap:.0068µF
    bass rolled off, tone rolled back 75-80%
    Mids: rolled off 50%

Very low volume, so it needs to be boosted. No bass or lower mids, the very top is mellowed out and the upper mids are emphasized (lower strings growl nicely). The action is very low, so the slight buzzing of the strings against the frets is emphasized on the upper strings which "bloom" after plucked.

It's still an imperfect experiment, but I work on it more little by little.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Thanks! That's what I'm talking about.

Hey that's cool, reversed/up side down jack plate on the strat.

Keep them coming guys!:D

4. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The inside-out Strat jack was because except for my Brian Moore, all the other guitars are "side loaders" (or "front loading" ES335). Allows me to use an "L" cable.

5. Soporific

Soporific Member

Think a reversed jack would allow it as well?

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Having tried many combinations I realized that I just can't handle that many options in the course of a live performance, no matter how much I love to tweak. A Strat plus a switch to add the neck to the bridge or middle and, maybe, a coil tap if it has a bridge HB is about the max for me, so, I may be aiming towards 3 excellent combos vs 26 mediocre tone options in the future.

7. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

That's what it is, just the standard jack pulled out, reversed, and polished.

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Yeah, that Carvin's about as far as I can go, and I need to practice with it a lot before I can use it live and just automatically run through the options in my head.

9. Soporific

Soporific Member

Okay, I see what you are saying now. For some reason I was thinking it was a different mold.

I was thinking of just turning it upside down so the barrel kind of points up, but the metal is still inside the body for the most part. I'm wondering if that would work or be too much stress on the cable, etc. Thanks.

~S

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I think the bigger issue would be stress to the connecting wires to the jack inside the guitar.

11. auraelux

auraelux Member

I want a switch on my strat that controls the rotation of the Earth and the temperature of the Sun

12. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

Not a Strat style per se, but ALembic is pretty much the king of tons of switches and knobs.

[​IMG]

13. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I haven't decided how many knobs and switches this one will have yet. My daughter gave me the idea for the basic shape of the pickguard. She suggested something sharklike. I'm thinking maybe four lipstick pups at an angle, like shark gills. Below I've "photoshopped" in some pups, knobs and switches.

It's an old Teisco body (five bolt neck) and the bridge has to be moved:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

That is a COOL Guitar!

15. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Then there's always the Ibanez Musician: Strat-style body, for sure, but tons of knobs:

[​IMG]