Strat switched to Schallers, now problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuiltySpark, Apr 22, 2008.

1. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

A couple of days ago, I switched out for locking Schallers on my strat. They are the standard Fender brushed set. After switching them, my G & D strings are buzzing. I suspect that the angle over the nut is the problem.

The Schallers were mixed up, so I didn't see what order they came out of the package. They have 3 different heights. I googled a plenty, but couldn't find any reference as to which went where. The standard tuners were not staggered. I would just keep swapping them around, but I really need this guitar up and running for a rehearsal tonight.

Can someone tell me the right string height order on a set of Schallers? I have the standard MIM neck with one string tree on 'E' and 'B'. Or should I just install a 2nd tree right quick and be done with it?

EDIT: Just FYI, I did install the two tallest ones on the 'E' and 'B' to get the most out of the angle with the string tree, and the shortest for 'G' & 'D'. They just don't seem to be short enough...

2. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

If the tuners are in the correct positions and the nut is the correct height, I would install a 2nd string tree.

[​IMG]

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

staggered height keys are supposed to go from tallest on the big E to shortest on the little E.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1. To clarify, the holes in the tuning posts are different heights so you shouldn't need to use a string tree. Be sure they are installed in the proper order as Walter has described.

5. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Until I noticed that this set has the following: 1 short, 1 tall, 4 medium. I installed them that way the first time (tall on low E, mediums on A D G B, and short on high E). No bueno with or without the tree, so I swapped them back. Either way I end up with mediums on D and G where my problems are.

I thought staggered tuners were each different, not in groups of 4 of the same.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Could you have a set that doesnt have the correct height tuners? When I buy sets of Schaller lockers, there are 3 heights, 2 of each.