Strat - Switching from Rosewood to Maple?

dapa78

Gold Supporting Member
I have two strats: one is a '56 relic; the other a '60 closet classic. I love the tone of the '60, but since I bought the '56 a couple of years ago, the neck on the '60 feels thin. I play the '60 way more than the '56 because I prefer the tone, but everytime I pick up the '56, the neck just feels more comfortable.

I'm contemplating switching the necks on the two, as I have no problems adapting between 9.5/6105s ('56) and 7.25/vintage frets ('60). Has anyone has ever done a maple/RW neck switch on strats before? Previous TGP posts suggest that switching necks may (greatly) affect the tone. Would I be better off buying a thicker RW replacement neck for the '60?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

=JL=

I've just done it to my two favourite Teles.
Go ahead, it's only eight woodscrews, and you're about to find out how much crap is talked on this forum about the "major tonal differences" between the two.

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
I did it.

Before

After

Both of these are American Series, a 2000 and 2004, so they were identical. It was very easy to do. You'll need to align the neck from left to right before tightening the screws down all the way. You can do this best once strings are on - you'll need to move the neck slightly to align the high & low E strings.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
Nice. It's done all the time with some big names where they have a 59 neck on a 64 body for instance. Piecing together favorites. EJ and Paisley are two that come to mind.

paulscape

It's reversible - give it a go. Won't affect tone drastically. Pickups swaps will alter the tone more IMO. I've got bright sounding rosewood strats and dark maple strats and it's mostly because of pickups.

Kelsey

Viva le difference -- or however you spell it. I have a 56 NOS (9.5"/6150) and a 60 relic (vintage all the way). I prefer the tone and feel of the 56, but I like the spice of the 60 often enough to keep it around. Either way, enjoy 'em.

newswede

Rock on. That's one thing that makes strays so much fun - swapping parts! Enjoy, and remember to make sure those necks are seated properly/tightly in the pocket.

Trending Topics