Strat/Tele+Fender vs Strat/Tele+Marshall vs Les Paul/SG+Marshall

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Paulstarr, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Which one of these beautiful classic tones
    do YOU prefer and why?

2. gforce54

gforce54 Member

Strat/Tele+AC30

Just kidding, I love all of them equally, but I don't think I could work without the Strat/Tele+Fender amp. It's just too necessary for me.

3. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I started as a strat+Marshall.but now im 60% les paul 40 % strat

4. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

So you are The Edge fan huh..well I do own an ac30 so thats one if my tones.lok

5. Turi

Turi Member

That's not what he said, lol.

Out of those three.. Tele/Strat + Fender.

Why? Sounds the best to me.

6. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I might try that one of these days

7. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Strat/ Fender are my favorite. Chime and sparkle . I like the crisp tone of the single coil with its clarity and articulation paired with Fenders 6l6 amp with its nice bottom end. Almost as good is Gibson / Fender pairings. Powerful thick crunchy tones with great sustain.

8. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

You are right in sorry I didnt read the 2nd part of the answer before responding strat middle pick up with a fender amp is a beautiful tone

9. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Neck pickup too and neck n middle

10. David Garner

David Garner Member

If those are my options, Tele/Strat + Marshall. But my true love is Les Paul and Strat + Marshall or Vox.

I love my Deluxe Reverb, but I finally learned I prefer Brit amps. And I need both the Les Paul and the Strat. But I'm glad I have a Tele too.

11. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I had a cheap Fernandez strat through a Sovtek Mig60. Once I got a Turbo Overdrive, I was in tone heaven. Without the drive, it was very punchy and unforgiving, so I had to work for my distortion, and I had it on the edge of break up. Very round and clean beneath the overdrive. Turned all the way up, no distortion box was needed. (Single notes sounded as thick as barre chords).

That Sovtek is supposed to be a plexi circuit, so I'll vote for the strat into a Marshall. Although the Twin sounds great with a strat!

12. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

How about LP/335 + Fender?? That's all me...

13. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Gotta love the sparkly cleans of a strat n a fender.I did play my strat thru a Roland jazz chorus once .so beautiful

14. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

335 what a nice guitar

15. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I usually play my Les Paul Jr Special w/ P-90s through a '66 Fender Pro Reverb.

But sometimes I play it through a '76 Marshall JMP or an Orange Tiny Terror.

But I also have a Tele with a P-90 and a Gibson humbucker and a '79 LP Standard that I play through any of those amps.

All my amps are vintage or inspired by vintage sounds, and they all get really dirty on their own without pedals when pushed with P-90s or humbuckers. I lean more towards a Marshall sound than the classic Fender sound.

No Strats for me, ever. Only Teles and Les Pauls right now, though I've had many SGs as well.

16. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

After many different rigs. With every type of amp and guitar, I've finallly figured out what's best. Strat into Marshall type amp. How come you guys haven't figured this out yet? :)

17. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I used to play a good wood era LP Standard into a blue framed speaker Bassman RI. Now I have two Strat's (style that is. One's a Grosh the other a Fender CS) which go into either a custom built BFDR type amp or a Louis Electric Baby BB. For me best of both worlds, though I'm bonding with the Marshall style BB Louis Electric amp, but that's me. Other's would disagree and for what they're looking for and they'd be right.

I'd imagine many folks on here, of which I'm one of, would say that if money was no object, any and all of those combinations would be on hand for their appropriate applications.

18. cheezit

cheezit Member

Strat + Marshall/Vox for me.

Fender amps, especially Blackface amps, are known for having a mid scoop. Fender single-coils also tend to be bright and not mid-forward. The result is just a bit too toppy for me usually and I have to find a way to boost the mids, like a tube screamer.

19. pbmw

pbmw Member

I'm a Tele guy. But I have Strats and LPs.
    Tele into JTM45 is THE sound in my head
    But what I play is completely dependent on the music.

20. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I've played them all, and to me, they're all awesome tones to listen to.

To PLAY though, for me it's Strat into Fender. It works best and makes me sound the way I want to sound in my head... although blasting a Strat through a Marshall is cool, I can get a lot more mileage out of the Strat into a Fender amp for variety for sure. Nothing sounds the way Fenders into Fenders sound, but I think a Strat can do a little wider variety than the other options.

I love and appreciate LP's, and I own a Tele I really dig (under 7 pounds!), but when I need to be at my best it's a Strat and a Fender tweed.