• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strat tone advice, or is it me?

Tiki Love God

I have a Rory Gallagher customs shop strat, I am not a huge Rory fan but out of all the strats i'd played it was amazing and sounded sweet. That was a few years ago, over the years I had a Rothwell Hot Little Knob installed that gives a thicker sound when activated and also works as a tone control on the bridge. I used the guitar for recording and mainly clean to semi crunch tones but recently I have been trying to get decent mid-higher gain tones using the strat and is sounds- well, ****! I know that strats can get a bit wayward if used to the extreme but Eric Johnson uses them to great effect and i love his tone.

Could it be the hot little knob has sucked away all the tone, pickup height etc..

Any advice much appreciated.

TNO

Sounds like a great and versatile Strat. I wouldn't mess with it or sell it. Maybe it's time for a new guitar?

dephazer

Just use a cleanboost pedal in front, that always works, something like the Fulltone fatboost. Gets a bigger signal to the drive channel....gainstaging :)

VHS analog

I'm not sure what kind of dirty sounds you're looking for, but seeing EJ play live I know that his distorted tones are EXTREMELY muddy on the low notes. You won't get that super tight John Petrucci style chug with an EJ type set up.
It all depends on what kind of distortion you're trying to achieve.

What amp are you using? And I agree with everyone else, look into different pickups and pedals. I'm sure you'll achieve the sound you're looking for. I upgraded my strat with Lollar pickups (dirty blondes) and I run a 808 tube screamer. That's a nice strat you have there, hold on to it.

buzzp

Agreeing with everyone else, you need to look into different pickups/pedals. I've played one of those Rory strats and it was easily one of the nicest I've picked up.

What application is the med-high gain being used for? Chords or leads?

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
There are some great pedals out there. I would also considee putting an xotic EP booster on your board. Strats can rock.

Tiki Love God

I have a bogner duende and use a Wampler pinnacle for driving the clean channel. Looking for nice billy gibbons rhythm tones, I know he uses a lp, but i am trying to give an idea of the level of distortion. Agree that Eric Johnston can get a bit muddy in the lower register but a balance between squeaky highs and muddy lowes. I love knopflers strat lead tone very smith and sustaining as well

I'm curious how it's routed (the Rory strat.) You may be able to put a humbucker in the bridge - Pearly Gates. Then lower output neck/middle for the Knopfler tone.

xroads

You need a pedal that boosts the mids. I would not give up on keeping the guitar and searching for a good pedal.

One more thing: if you want HB tones, get a guitar with a HB.

guitarz1972

You need a pedal that boosts the mids. I would not give up on keeping the guitar and searching for a good pedal.

One more thing: if you want HB tones, get a guitar with a HB.
+1. OP, are you a "cat person" by chance? Reason I ask: strats are like cats. They can be finicky and kinda contrary, and they'll make you work for them sometimes; but when you've put in the effort "training" it and bonding with it then you've got a real friend. ("Ahh that's sweet" lol).

Anyway, yeah I love my strat with distorted tones - I use single coils too, not noiseless either. After some pseudo-critical pedal-tweaking and knob-turning and with some effort, I've got a pretty good overdrive sound with it on the bridge position. It's not "noiseless" by any means, but that's rock and roll for ya. lol Mine's a '56 relic with Mark Kendrick-designed pups, so I'm sure how mine would compare to the Rory; but point being, it's probably not going to be really tight and perfect "Shred-City USA," it's not a humbucker tone, it is what it is. You just have to ultimately decide if you want to put in all the effort - and even to a certain degree perhaps, the compromise - involved to make it work for you. Good luck sir, been there done that, hope you pull through safely to the other side as well.

CS

burningyen

Can you be more specific about how it sounds, or share a clip? If it's too thin or piercing, have you tried just turning down the tone knob on the guitar?

Trending Topics