Strat tone changing with volume?

melodiusthunk

Bronzd & Supported Member
Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this when playing their Strat:

Rolling the volume pot up between about 80% to 100% of full-on not only changes my volume, but darkens my tone as well. Between 0-80%, volume behaves as "volume" only.

I should mention that I have a so-called "volume kit" installed, which is supposed to prevent loss of treble when rolling the volume DOWN.

Any thoughts?

Kontalonis

Something doesn't sound right. Wide open should produce the most treble. Can you link us to this kit and tell us how you wired it?

melodiusthunk

Gold Supporting Member
Something doesn't sound right. Wide open should produce the most treble. Can you link us to this kit and tell us how you wired it?
The kit was installed as part of a pre-wired pickguard I purchased from Rothstien Guitars:
http://www.guitar-mod.com/

It is their "Lonestar Circuit" (HSS, Fralin Blues Specials). In general, I am very happy with the sound I get, but remembering the description of how the volume kit should function, the behavior I described in my OP seems a little odd.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Treble "bleed" circuits, depending on values used, can make a guitar much brighter with the volume rolled off than up full. Some people prefer it that way, some want as close to the same tone through the volume swell, and others prefer the tone rolloff without a bypass cap.

GeorgeSunset

Treble "bleed" circuits, depending on values used, can make a guitar much brighter with the volume rolled off than up full. Some people prefer it that way, some want as close to the same tone through the volume swell, and others prefer the tone rolloff without a bypass cap.
+1
I do it myself and like it. depends on the cap value

melodiusthunk

Gold Supporting Member
+1
I do it myself and like it. depends on the cap value
So putting on my "electronics for newbies" hat, true or false: increasing the cap value should move from the situation where max volume cuts treble towards a situation where max volume has less effect on tone when volume is run between 50-100% of max?

Thanks for responding,

Scott

Trending Topics