Strat Tone Control Mods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by V-Mike, Mar 13, 2008.

1. V-Mike

V-Mike Member

I am going to be wiring up a new pickguard for a MIM Strat, and had a question about wiring up the tone pots. I wanted T1 to control both the neck and middle pickups and T2 to control the bridge pickup. Would I simply wire everything the same as a stock Strat, but with Tone 2 wired to the 2nd lug (next to volume) on the switch (side facing pots) and a jumper from the outside lug to the next???

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey V-Mike -

This isn't exactly precisely on topic, but .... I've tried that wiring, T1 tone for neck+middle, T2 for bridge.

What happens is the #2 and #4 positions lose high end IMHO. If you don't NEED tone on the middle pickup, I strongly suggest wiring T1=neck tone and T2-bridge tone, vol=master vol. That way the #2 and #4 positions sound wonderful, and you can use T1 for neck+middle tone and T2 for bridge +middle tone. You get stuck with no tone on the middle pickup, but positions#2 and #4 sound noticably better.

Somehow, Strats sound a little better if one of the pickups isn't loaded down by a tone pot. If you love #2 and #4, try it my way. It's not the only way, but it's a good way.

Oh, the way you describe the wiring sounds like how I did it to get T1+neck+middle tone.

Good Luck, apologies in advance for unsolicited advice, Dana O.

3. Monroe

Monroe Guest

That's how I wire my strats, too. Agree with everything Dana says, plus I actually find myself using the middle by itself more. It works especially well with the volume rolled off (no treble bleed cap) when it's not loaded with a tone pot.
    FYI: That's how they wire the EJ strat.

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Member

As for your original question, YES, you have the idea correct.

5. V-Mike

V-Mike Member

Thanks for the input guys... I think I will take the advice about leaving the middle pickup open. Also, I might also try using two different value capacitors (for less treble bleed on bridge pickup). I am going to use Fender's No-Load tone pots, there's nothing special I need to know about those, is there???