Strat trem blocks: Callaham vs. DeTemple

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Disco Scottie, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Has anyone A/Bed these two? Seems to be a lot of hype surrounding both. I'm more than willing to pay if they live up to the claims, but the DeTemple is reeeeaaaalllly pricey... does a titanium block make that much of a difference? According to DeTemple's site, it makes strings feel one gauge lighter. Is that true?

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've been wanting a Callaham (whenever I get around to fixing up the strat). My question is what trem assembly to get with it. I want a Wilkinson but I don't know if they are compatible.

3. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

I bought into the hype as much as anyone, which is easy to do when credible people like Jeff Snyder of Snyder amps tell you its such a ridiculous difference. It certainly is not. Sure, the Detemple trem has a different sound than the Callaham, but in a given guitar either one could sound better than the other. I'd say the Detemple sounds more airy and seems to emphasize the higher frequencies slightly. Its not a "better" sound. Its really just a different sound. Titanium's sonic powers are not nearly as extraordinary as they may have you believe. Either block/trem is really nice. I'm glad I have my Detemple block/saddles simply because I'm a Strat lover and will probably add a lot of Strats to my collection, at least one of which may mate better with the Titanium block. As far as the string guage feeling, I didn't notice a difference. I wouldn't go shopping for bigger strings till you try it.

Side note: Its puzzling how superior Michael claims the Titanium to be so superior to steel sonically, yet only uses the material in the block and saddles. Wouldn't the entire bridge benefit from being Titanium? Eh, all this talk makes me want to play my guitar and quit obsessing over metal and wood.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Don't know much about titanium but I haven't seem any brass tremblocks around in a while and have never tried one. But I am curious about the potential of brass tremblocks because there has to be some good reason why they make bells & cymbals out of it....and I think a guitar just might benefit from its properties?

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

Brass was used on a lot of aftermarket parts from the 70s for the same reasons you're talking about, but I think a lot of people started to feel like brass actually absorbed a lot of harmonic content and ring.

Other people may know something different.

6. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I played a friend's MIJ reissue strat that had a Mighty Mite trem with a brass block and brass saddles -- and it sounded great. It had a nice ring to it and a lot of chime. I'd buy a brass block if I could actually find one.

I bought a Callaham block a few months ago and it's a nice improvement over the zinc one it replaced. Though I wouldn't bother replacing an identical steel block in a reissue or what have you.

Haven't tried a titanium block -- and based on the luke warm reviews I've read (not to mention the $225 price tag) I'm convinced that I'm not missing anything either.

A lot of non-sense and mythology concerning guitar tone gets circulated on a daily basis, and a great deal of it is being parroted by people who probably have little or no firsthand knowledge of what their saying.

For example, I've heard for years that brass hardware robs tone and sustain etc. but the first time I played a guitar with a brass bridge I absolutely loved it.

The bottom line: it pays to take all this **** with a grain of salt -- and ultimately to trust your ears rather than a bunch of potentially misleading info that you read on an internet message board.

ROCK-N-ROLLERRO!!! :RoCkIn

7. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I have a DeTemple coming in 4 months. Just finalized the details.

1. Titanium Truss Rod
    2. Titanium Back Plate
    3. Titanium Saddles
    4. Titanium Block

I have the latter 2 in my current DeTemple and actually like them both. I think the block really feels like it lightens the guitar (fwiw). I think it's a tad clearer sounding. I'll let you know about the truss rod & back plate.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I put a titanium block in my strat. Yes, it does seem to bring out some of the higher frequencies and perhaps adds some mid/high clarity, BUT, it also detracts a bit from the mid/lows to the extent that I'm putting the steel block back in. I liked the tonal balance of my strat in its prior form. Of course, this is subjective as is all opinion here, but I'd rather have the $$ and my old tone back. BTW...anyone want a great deal on a titanium block?? AC

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Titanium back plate? Good lord.......... I'm sure it will be one hell of a sweet guitar, as all Detemples are absolutely the sickest guitars I've ever laid my eyes on.

10. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the planning phase of upgrading my MIM Strat, and based on these responses I think I'm gonna go Callaham for this project. Not all that excited about spending almost as much for a trem block as I did for the guitar, if it ain't gonna make that much difference!

11. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

12. EBGB

EBGB Member

I think he means neck plate (which the 4 bolts go through) not the back plate (which covers the tremolo springs).

13. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Titanium Neck Plate.....

14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

15. Chuckracer

Titanium string trees.

16. Chuckracer

There's an entire market waiting here!

17. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

It is if you like bending strings, but want the tone of bigger guages.

18. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Which MIM are you going to install it in? If it's one of the higher end models like the Classic or Deluxe player series, consider a Wilkenson. I think it's a much better unit than the Callaham. It's a direct drop in too. It will not fit the MIM Standard seies though.

19. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I replaced a Vintage Fender bridge with the Callaham and it made a big improvement to the sound of the guitar. Much more resonante and sustained better. Very smooth and the pop-in Vintage bar is sweet. I couldn't be happier with the Callaham and would add it to any guitar with a vintage tremolo.

20. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

It's a Standard, so I'll have to stick with Callaham. Like I needed another trem block to choose from! :roll