Strat Trems - question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by roomservice, Feb 14, 2009.

1. roomservice

roomservice Member

Hi there

Anybody got any ideas how to get the stiffness back in my Am Deluxe Trem?

I remember when it was new and shiny and the trem arm would stay parallel to the body lines......nowadays it's all floppy and dangles down...........still works absolutely fine but was wondering if we could put some stiffness back in this trem lol. I was wondering if had something to do with taking the trem out when I put it in its case for going to and from rehearsals??

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

replace the springs,

3. roomservice

roomservice Member

Hello there

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm an absolute beginner in putting bits in guitars though lol - what springs are you referring to?

Many thanks

rs

4. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Open up the big plate in the back. You'll see big springs in there. Replace those. Any guitar store's going to have 'em. They're only a few bucks.

5. roomservice

roomservice Member

lol!

I thought those springs were just for the 'springiness' of the trem - not the arm itself?

It's the trem arm that is all floppy - not the trem unit.

Sorry mate - I really am that dense when it comes to guitar parts and I appreciate your patience!

6. bullet69

bullet69 Member

wrap teflon tape around the threads

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

This works pretty well. Is your bridge a pop in or screw in? If it's a pop in there will be a small allen head visible on the back of the block when you push the bar fully down. Tighten that up and you're back in business. If it's a screw in the teflon trick works pretty well but it's temorary in my experience.

8. stevel

stevel Member

Wait wait wait!

You mean the arm "spins" freely don't you?

If that's the case, as someone mentioned there's a little allen screw on the inside of the trem unit where the arm pushes in - you may have to depress the tremolo arm to bring the trem unit up out of the body at a far enough angle to get at it. One of the two allen wrenches that came with your guitar (you kept those in a safe place, right?).

That screw has a little rubber-like head on it that goes into the tremolo arm hole and "rubs against" the arm keeping it from spinning.

Yes, I noticed mine also got looser over the years from repeated inning and outing. I think I've tightened it twice in 9 years.

It doesn't take much by the way - if you do it too far the arm won't push in easily - don't force it - I think it's better to snug it up with the arm in - then you can tell it it's going to keep it parallel with the strings.

Some people like to have it swing down, and others like it to stay right near their fingers.

Steve

9. roomservice

roomservice Member

nice one!

problem solved

cheers
    rs

10. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I'm not familiar with the Am. Deluxe trem, but older strat trems had these little springs in them. I'm not sure if they still use them. I went to three different guitar shops before I could find them. Most people didn't know what I was talking about.

[​IMG]

11. roomservice

roomservice Member

Yep it was the pop in one so all solved with the little allen key - and I agree, I've put plumbers tape around an old Ibanez of mine where the threads have worn out but it is a temp fix

12. roomservice

roomservice Member

The AM Del trem is a pop in one and my trem now has all the stiffness it needs lol!

My old Ibanez had a tiny spring in it as well - which was a bit odd as it's a thread in not pop in - and it took m eages to get one too

13. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I was just going to ask about this. It fell out of my spankin new Am Std Strat. At first I had no clue what it was. Do I really need it? I have another strat with the trem blocked on the body but no spring in the trem hole. What's the purpose of this little spring other than to get lost very easily.

14. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Nope. Just keeps the bar from swinging down when you let go. I want the bar to swing away immediately, so I don't use them. Its just a preference based on your playing style.