strat tuning issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by smolder, Aug 24, 2008.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I came into a new, to me (american deluxe) strat recently. Everything seems to be great with one exception. I get it in tune... and then when I play an open chord, it is not in tune.

It has reasonably large frets. WHen the strings hit the fret, all is good, but pressing to the fingerboard stretches the string.

The rest of the neck is fine and the action is fairly low.

It has a fender LSR roller nut and my guess is it is too tall. There are no spacers. If this is the case do I file the nut gap down in order to lower it?

Thanks...

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

any help? please...

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If the first fret height is ok you just need to not press the strings passed fret contact. If the nut is too high check to see if it has shims that could be removed, otherwise lowering of the shelf would be needed.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Wull, here's your problem right thar. Sometimes the frets are tall enough to cause that problem - you have to adjust your playing style with tall frets. Some tall frets are almost like having a scalloped fingerboard.

All kidding aside, it's probably a combination of factors. Most Fender nuts from the factory leave the action at the first fret a little high, so you're stretching the strings more than you should just to get them fretted at the first few frets. Of course, fretting the string anywhere stretches it out of tune a bit so some compensation is necessary and that's why the bridge saddles are adjustable for intonation. The nut slots can be cut deeper and the saddles can be adjusted by a well-recommended technician (finding one is half the battle), and a used guitar might even benefit from a gentle fret dressing (level, crown, & polish) and it will play better than you ever imagined.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

If the truss rod is propperly adjusted and you have an LSR nut and your frets are still good then your nut is too high, if purchased second hand you may not be able to repair this under warranty and it could be a right pain to correct.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

let me guess: are you primarily an acoustic player? i'll bet you're just squeezing too hard, especially on that plain G. you should never be pushing a string "all the way to the fretboard"!

7. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

The nut height, truss rod & intonation need to be adjusted. It just needs a set up to your style of play.