1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

strat vintage bridge help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by shihku, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shihku

shihku Member

Does anyone know if the bridge plate and the block has to be
    pressed against each other as tight as possible, leaving no gap
    in between? or is it okay if there is a thin line between them?

thanks

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Some confusion on your terms here. Do you mean to ask, "Does the spring tension on a Strat's floating bridge need to be so tight that the bottom of the bridge plate is pressed firmly against the face of the guitar or can there be a thin line between them?"

If so, then no. It should not be pressed firmly against the body if you plan on using the tremelo. Best rule is to set a thin line, about a sheet of paper's thickness. This way, the tremelo will not be overly tight, will not wear on the body surface, and will stay reasonably in tune with a little graphite on the nut every 5 or so string changes.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Are the screws holding the block tight?
    The block should be screwed against the bridge plate with no gap.

If the screws on yours are tightened all the way I guess the two pieces are not square with each other. It may affect the sustain.

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Now that makes a whole lot more sense, in terms of the original question (duh).

I've never heard of a plate that couldn't be tightened down to the block. It would be easy enough to mill the two surfaces if they're not square. If the screw holes aren't deep enough, best bet would be to find some slightly shorter screws.

5. shihku

shihku Member

well, the plate ca be tighten down to the block, but there would always be a really thin gap between the plate and the block, about 1/3 mm?

All i wanted to ask is if it was normal? I was sanding off off the paint on the block, maybe I made it uneven on the sides or something?

Thanks
    Alan

6. shihku

shihku Member

or would someone be kindly enough to post a photo of their bridge plate and block together for me?