strat vs. J-master bodies - tone differences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Sep 12, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Let's say you could isolate out all the other variables. For instance, say you were considering building a Warmoth guitar with the same strat neck, the same trem, and the same pickup configuration.

Would there be any tone difference between using a strat body and a Jazzmaster body be? Or are they almost identical

-thi

2. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I think they would sound close, but I don't have Eric Johnson's ears. It would certainly look cool.

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

As long as you use the same wood, bridge, and pickups, they should sound the same. I know a guy who built up a JSO (jazzmaster shaped object) using a vintage strat style bridge, strat pickups (rear mounted), and a wicked surfboard paintjob! Very nice strat sounds. I've been thinking about a clear finish Korina jazzmaster (yes warmoth makes one!) with pickguard loaded strat pups and a two point wilkinson bridge... No idea what the Korina will do with strat pickups, but I have heard some nice mahogany strats... It's for the look anyway...

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've been considering building a JSO (I like that!) from Korina, with JM pickups (which I already have.) I haven't decided if I want to use the bass circuit (which I do use, esp, wth fuzz) or if I want a stripped-down 1 vol/1 tone/3 way switch.

I believe it could be pretty interesting -- the korina Hamer I've got is remarkably bright & chimey.

5. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

I'm currently building a Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Strat hybrid, so I'm about to find out:

http://www.thejennifers.com/jag/jag3.html

Always liked the looks of the Jag (my first guitar was a '63) but the short scale doesn't work for me. I've also kind of wanted a Strat (never had one) , and love the Jazzmaster tremolo, so this is my new project. I'll let you know how it sounds once the finish dries.

-J

6. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Jetsetsc - awesome project! Please post the final results once it's done.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Cool!! You'll definitely have your own guitar with that one.

What color are you using?

Keep us posted with pics if you have time.

Thanks

8. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

'Tis done. Take that Custom Shop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the details are updated here:

http://www.thejennifers.com/jag/jag3.html

To answer the original question: it sounds very strat-y in the 1/2 and 2/3 positions - got quack if ya want it, but very nice Jazzmaster tones from the 2 or 3 alone positions, and Jag-y in the 1/3 position.

I'll be adding up all the receipts I have, to come up with a rough $$$ estimate for the project (not including labor of course) for those that are interested.* Gotta go play it now...

9. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Wow, that's beautiful. I dig the combination of features you included.

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

So the trem and trem cavities won't yield something different?

11. daphil

daphil Member

Strats and JMs have to really different bridge designs which shoud give somewhat different tone and feel.