1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Strat vs Tele: Neck position sound

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ferple, May 16, 2011.

1. Ferple

Ferple Member

Hey all,

So how different are the neck sounds between a strat and a tele? I've never had a single coil guitar, and am looking at trading my 84 Fender D'Aquisto Elite for a Fender 2008 Custom Shop Time Machine/Closet Classic '56 strat.

Thanks all.

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Go to your local guitar shop and try it out!

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I think the Strat neck may be a little easier to get a great sound out of judging from how many people on the forums indicate they don't like the Tele Neck pickup. I like the Tele Neck PUP just as much as the strat, but find it a little more compressed. My comparison is not perfect - My tele PUP is noiseless, my Strat PUP isn't, and the strat has a rosewood neck, Tele has maple, with a very heavy ash body.
    I don't personally think you are missing too much on the neck Pickup from a Strat to a tele - but i find the Tele Bridge Pickup to be more my sound than a strat Bridge.
    To me you are definitely making the right move. Work that neck pickup - and try to get that chime on the middle pickup. I know you'll be spending a lot of time in the beginning quacking out in pos.2 & 4, but don't ignore the middle!

What Amps and effects will you be using???

4. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Half of the point of the tele neck pickup is to make the middle position so good. ;)

5. Mickey64

Mickey64 Member

Try a few Teles, they are not all the same. I have a '69 and the neck pup sounds OK, but I also have a '00 CS Tele whose neck pup sounds really great, easily as good as my Strats.

6. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Even a tele neck pickup which sounds great doesn't sound like a strat neck pickup to my ears. The strat neck pickup is what makes Hendrix, Gilmour, SRV and many others sound so great. They all use lots of pickup positions and guitars, but the neck position on a strat is their defining sound. While I love tele's there simply is not such a wealth of famous sounds based on that pickup.

I agree that the tele neck pickups reason for being is to make that middle position such a cool rhythm position (in my opinion obviously).

Now the tele bridge pickup, on the other hand, simply rocks. Strat players have forever been trying to get more of a tele tone from their bridge pickup.

So I'm afraid I don't agree that there's not much difference between the two neck pickups. I do agree that they're both great, but in different ways.

7. taildragger

taildragger Member

Here is some fat tele tone. I guess it' the neck pickup. Not a great song but I like the tone...