• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strat VS Tele… which one…

Better Weapon?

• Strat

Votes: 99 45.6%
  • Tele

Votes: 118 54.4%

• Total voters

Boomstick0

I have actually never owned a telecaster. I currently own two strats and have owned many more in my life. So I guess I'm team strat.

That said, if I could trade both my strats for two equal quality telecasters, I might consider it too. I picked up a second strat because it was $400 and played very well.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I prefer the extra mids in a Tele - I find that to be a more versatile sounding guitar, on that can cross many genre's. I like the Strat voice but it seems to be a more specific voice that the classic recordings of the early and middle days of rock and roll have well defined as the "Strat sound" (surf and R&B for instance). A Strat with a mid-boost pedal or built-in kit will give the Tele a run for it's money.

Demioblue

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, why not both? a guitar with a strat neck and middle, with a tele bridge pickup? Also, I've never had the chance to try it out for real, but the sound clips available online for the EBMM Hunter Hayes Cutlass seems to demonstrate that the guitar is capable of both tones, so maybe that should be a viable option too?

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member
I’m surprised that none of you TGPers have given the most TGP of answers:

Why not one of each?

Then you can tie them together and use them as a giant pair of nunchucks.

Best weapon ever.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
For weaponry a Tele.

For comfort a Strat.

For tone it’s both, depending on present requirements.

Secret weapon for Tele: add a middle PU.

Secret weapon for Strat: wire for bridge and neck PUs used together.

Tele is overall more powerful. Strat is overall more versatile.

Both are wonders of creative and functional design that have stood the test of time quite easily.

I’m a Strat guy but still own 5 Teles. Leo and George got it right with both. Long live Leo and George!

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
For weaponry a Tele.

For comfort a Strat.

For tone it’s both, depending on present requirements.

Secret weapon for Tele: add a middle PU.

Secret weapon for Strat: wire for bridge and neck PUs used together.

Tele is overall more powerful. Strat is overall more versatile.

Both are wonders of creative and functional design that have stood the test of time quite easily.

I’m a Strat guy but still own 5 Teles. Leo and George got it right with both. Long live Leo and George!

I mostly agree. Except:
Strat is overall more versatile.

Check out Bill Kirchen sometime, and you’ll find out just how many sounds are available to a Tele master.

dazco

I can't vote. They are both essential for me, and while at tmes i prefer one over the other, that NEVER EVER stays that way. At some point i will go to the other and prefer it for a time, be it a day or week or months even. But i could never pick between them because they are both great.

billyguitar

Strats force my right wrist into a bind because I don't like picking over the neck pickup. A Tele doesn't do that to me. I also don't need a vibrato on a guitar. The Tele tones can suit any style I want to play. I've only owned one actual Strat and sold it off right away. Tele is my fave!!

stratadp

This thread has demonstrated definitively that the majority of TGP only reads the title and not the OP.

This is a question about using guitars as weapons. Not about playing them. Unless you're going for that tele twang tinnitus.

Seriously. If you're gonna hit someone with a guitar, the tele is the best option.

*Although, you could use the horns on a strat to hook-sweep the leg.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

I'm a lifelong les paul player who really, truly tried to be a strat guy and just couldn't do it with the C neck, the longer scale and the horrendous volume/tone control knob layout, so the tele was the middle ground that bridged the gap for me

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
I mostly agree. Except:

Check out Bill Kirchen sometime, and you’ll find out just how many sounds are available to a Tele master.

LOVE Bill Kirchen! My point is the Strat has 2 extra tonal options built in, plus a tremolo so it gets the versatility nod. Can’t argue with all the tones Bill wrangles out of his Tele, though. Masterful!

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member
Seriously. If you're gonna hit someone with a guitar, the tele is the best option.

*Although, you could use the horns on a strat to hook sweep the leg.

That would be the Martin Kove Signature Cobra Kai Stratocaster.

Anyhow, if I was gonna clobber someone with a guitar, I'd go for a Travis Bean Wedge.

I have both & love both. If I had to limit myself to just one, I'd reluctantly have to pick the Strat.
I just love the 5 way & that smooth tone. Please don't make me have just one.

Julio Iguana

1637390885718.jpeg

bigtone23

I like both for different reasons.
However, in a pinch, the Strat can do more. It's easy to swimming pool rout out the body and drop in a loaded pickguard with any combo of pickups and controls.
For example, build a hard tail Strat with a Tele bridge pickup installed and the ability to get the N+B pickup combination. It will Tele, and you get the comfort of the Strat body.
Not saying a Nashville style Tele can't Strat... It's just that getting deep with mods on a traditional Tele is more difficult given the limited space in the control cavity and control plate, was well as your options for the bridge pickup, if using a traditional bridge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom